Shorting closed end funds

Discussion in 'Trading' started by kidPWRtrader, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Oops I forgot to put you on ignore stock, but you never disappoint. You have no idea the difference between an open ended and closed end fund, but you come firing with your delusional rant against shorts anyway. Why do you have to put you're 2 cents in on every thread? You have no clue how many of the investment vehicles operate, but you insist on trying to pretend that you do...Your arrogance is going to bankrupt you at some point. Please do us all a favor and go away, you have polluted enough threads here.

#11     Aug 29, 2007
  2. The main reason is because it's next to impossible to find a short float (atleast I havn't had much luck finding them).

I havn't tried IB yet though. Hmmm.

#12     Aug 29, 2007
  3. <i>Closed-ended funds are NOT ETFs. They're a set of investment vehicles usually designed for yield, mainly holding equities and bonds. See www.cefa.com.</i>

Well, technically speaking CEFs are exchange traded funds. Somehow "ETF" became a synonym for open end ETFs, and "CEF" became a synonym for closed end ETFs. I think it's an unfortunate misuse of the term but it's what we're stuck with.

Martin

#13     Aug 29, 2007
  4. Incidentally CEFs are not designed for yield or to hold bonds or anything like that. CEFs are designed to hold any illiquid assets that cannot easily be traded in an open ended structure. In contrast, open ended funds need to be able to meet redemptions at any time, which is difficult if the underlying assets are hard to trade.

Some CEFs hold junk bonds, some muni bonds, some hold emerging market stocks, the common thread is that most CEFs have relatively illiquid portfolios. As a result they are generally hard to compare with open ended ETFs which by definition must be highly liquid.

Martin

#14     Aug 29, 2007
  5. What about domestic taxable bond and muni-bond CEFs? =)

#15     Aug 29, 2007
  6. Better question then... if not closed end funds, what else?

I did a scan yesterday and I was not too happy. Despite readable market conditions, the only good setups this week seem to be from this group. Lot's of other stocks are just too crazy for me with ugly candles and volitility I'm not used to.

By the way, I am talking about interday swing trades w/ the trend.

#16     Aug 29, 2007