SHORTING BROKERS

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NKNY, Aug 23, 2000.

1. NKNY

NKNY

I need the buying power from my long term account to trade for now. I had two accounts but a large purchase that I recently made Has left my trading account with insufficient
    buying power to trade the way I'd like to....

I need to be holding a min of 5 stocks at one time. I try to hold 8 to 12 if I can. ( If I can find them fast enough)

I'm usually 60 to 75 % correct with my picks so my winners usually cancel out my losers and bring me to profiability.

As for not being penalized for selling stock and buying it back in a certain number of time..? I don't think it's possible but i could be wrong....

Could someone please enlighten me...

NKNY

------------------
    Happy Trading
    WWW.perfumeshack.com

#11     Sep 1, 2000
  2. mjt

mjt

I have a general question about short lists. Do all brokers who share the same clearing firm have the same short list?

#12     Sep 2, 2000
  3. NKNY

NKNY

I think they do but i'm not sure....

Nick

#13     Sep 11, 2000
  4. mjt,

Yes, in theory all brokers sharing the same clearing firm should allow shorting of the same stocks. However, some brokers may have peculiarities or situations where stock is unavailable to short that is available at other brokers with the same clearing firm. However, if you call that broker and request that they lend you stock to short that you know has been shortable with that clearing firm, they can call the firm (i.e. Southwest) and authorize it, depending upon the number of shares you want to short.

#14     Sep 11, 2000
  5. NKNY

NKNY

anyone know how extensive Preffered trade's short list is... They have real time buying power

Nick

#15     Sep 12, 2000
  6. davealex

davealex

Interesting. I wonder how MBT's (and all other Terra Nova brokers) switch to Instinet Clearing Services next month will change the short list?

Dave

#16     Sep 12, 2000
  7. NKNY

NKNY

Good question....

Anyone have any info on terranova new shortlist at instanet.

Nick

#17     Dec 20, 2000
  8. crd

crd

Terra Nova changed clearing firms to Instinet Clearing Services some time ago and has a very extensive short list.

#18     Jan 11, 2001