Shorting Apple with a target of $250

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by retaildaytrader, Oct 13, 2010.

1. So you are shorting for a 20% gain if you are right? That looks like a small target, I can't comprehend shorting a stock like that for a mere 20% profit at best.

You should short stocks that you expect to fall at least 50% over the next 1-2 years, and ideally ones that are likely to fall 75-100%. Short stocks that are going to totally collapse as their business prospects get decimated, not ones that are doing well in there core business and throwing off buckets of cash.

#21     Oct 14, 2010
  2. why bother talking about the rantings of paper traders?

#22     Oct 14, 2010
  3. tcore837

tcore837

Of all the stocks out there, people are going to short AAPL??? Trust me, I understand the concept of being able to make money in either direction, but the risk-reward on doing this on AAPL ahead of earnings is pretty steep. It has a pretty strong track record on pops for earnings release, is clicking on all cylinders, and sure doesn't show any signs ("at the moment") of slowing down.

I'd be interested if GOOG earnings tonight has changed the trader's perspective at all. If it's a tiny percentage of your portfolio and you feel like pulling the lever on that slot machine to see if you can hit the jackpot, go for it, but I agree with some of the other posts...let the earnings pass, you probably have an opportunity to go short on the ride down to close the gap after that.

This all being said, AAPL will report a buck fifty, we'll magically enter yet another...another...yet again crisis, and the shorts will end up with millions on the trade...lol... :~)

#23     Oct 14, 2010
  4. S2007S

S2007S

Apple up 9 days in a row!!!!!!!!!

Talk about a risk free return, earnings are next week and apple could easily make it another straight week of gains. This can go on for another 2 weeks. Just keep buying and buying.

#24     Oct 15, 2010
  5. So is the top in yet? Time to make another screenname Port.....

#25     Oct 15, 2010
  6. S2007S

S2007S

Apple is up 9 days in a row and will probably close up 10 days in a row come monday before their earnings release. Now earnings are going to have to be just insanely positive for apple to continue the run its already had. I am sure once earnings are out they will start lifting price targets by $100 easily. Its almost like you can buy apple tonight at $315 and sell it on Tuesday for $340+ thats how positive this earnings report is going to be.

#26     Oct 15, 2010
  7. S2007S

S2007S

FAST MONEY POLL
    Fast Money Polls
    Answer Fast Money's "Question of the Day" now.
    What do you think? We want to know!

Are you buying Apple ahead of earnings Monday?
    Buy... Even my mom has an iPad!
    53%

Sell... At $300 a share, it's all priced in
    24%

Hold... Waiting for next catalyst: Verizon iPhone
    23%

Total Votes: 4046

:D :D :D :D :D

Free money and more free money

#27     Oct 15, 2010
  8. jnorty

jnorty

ests $4.10. based on the once in lifetime run i'd say apple needs $5-$5.50 min. puts are outrageously juiced and i think one needs a straight short to make any money on a short

#28     Oct 15, 2010
  9. jd7419

jd7419

aapl action reminds so much of qcom,rmbs,sdli etc in the 90's. Amazing company but it too will top, I mean unless we all wear apple underwear and shop at applemart.

#29     Oct 15, 2010
  10. Shorting before earnings?

High probability this pops 20-30 bucks after earnings.

#30     Oct 15, 2010