Shortie's 10 Best Market Calls

Discussion in 'Journals' started by shortie, Dec 2, 2010.

How Many Calls Will Shortie Nail (Out of 10)?

1. 10

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. 8

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. 6

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. 4

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. 2

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  6. 0

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. i hope this journal will help me fight personal demons. i think i trade way too much. i take all kinds of crappy trades and needlessly suffer emotionally and financially as a result.

occasionally the moon, the stars and the sun all align quite perfectly and there is this really good trade that i may or may not take or take it and manage to botch is somehow.

why would not i take a great trade?

one reason is that my BP is already tied up in previous garbage trades.

another reason is that i am so preoccupied with currently open trades that i don't have time to appreciate the potential of this pending trade

how do i manage to botch a great trade?

by being heavily involved in the garbage trades i am already in i don't spend enough time to analyze the great trade (entries, exits, what-if scenarios). therefore, often i think i am ill-prepared and don't take full advantage of the opportunity.

one question that bugs me is whether i just imagine that i am able to pick the great trade out of many useless trades i take or is it the hindsight bias.

hopefully, the journal will address this question.

just a few random thoughts...

#11     Dec 7, 2010
  2. to all the doubting pikers i would like to point out that my position already showed >0.1% of unrealized profit today even if so briefly!

#12     Dec 7, 2010
  3. QQQQ closed 53.88

still holding 2/3 position: 21 cents of profit unrealized, drawdown 31 cent. so far looks like not a bad average entry price.

#13     Dec 7, 2010
  4. QQQQ 53.79

the plan for now is to sit on my hands. won't take profit until below 53

#14     Dec 8, 2010
  5. QQQQ 54.42 midday

Practicing patience by sitting tightly on my hands. Still have 1/3 to add but worried that I am too early to the bull nailing party.

#15     Dec 10, 2010
  6. adding the final 1/3 at 54.66

#16     Dec 15, 2010
  7. Is your stop still at 55.15?

#17     Dec 15, 2010
  8. mental stop ~55.40 . i keep them wide because i don't like being shaken out.

#18     Dec 15, 2010
  9. Position update: Short QQQQ average price 54.28 (full position), mental stop ~55.4 (~2% away)

QQQQ 54.38 midday - not bad so far

#19     Dec 15, 2010
  10. Some thoughts about the trade. When I started the trade 9 days ago I had a certain concept in mind as far as where the price might travel short-term. I also had some time-frame by when the trade could be profitable.

Now is a good time to re-assess the situation. Although the trade showed tiny profits briefly, it is taking longer than I anticipated. BUT the original concept is still intact! I am patting myself on the back for giving some respect to the upward momentum and I averaging in slowly.

I plan to give further respect to the upward momentum by taking small profit ~1% on at least 1/2 position (if the opportunity presents itself).

I hope this journal is a success and people will read it. Then I will be able to fulfill the real purpose of this journal: to share my non-trading wisdom!

Here is a piece of wisdom for today: "Even a blind squirrel will scratch his nuts once in a while"

#20     Dec 15, 2010