Shortie Got His Crash!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pspr, May 6, 2010.

1. pspr

pspr

Yup, they are saying on CNBC that someone at a large firm punched in billions when they meant millions of shares or contracts on a sell. Maybe they are making that up?

#11     May 6, 2010
  2. Even if it was an error, I'm just glad that my trading system using TradeStation was able to keep up. This was a good trial by fire. This will be one difficult mess to clean up.

#12     May 6, 2010
  3. poyayan

poyayan

Nowadays with computers, can't we just put a check in to reject any single order in billions or hundred of millions? I don't understand how this can happen....

#13     May 6, 2010
  4. NoDoji

NoDoji

Whatever happened to "Are you sure?" :p

#14     May 6, 2010
  5. NoDoji

NoDoji

Exactly, panic selling at least has dip buyers coming in now and then, not a straight run down.

I will add that my platform froze at ES 1099 and I was unable to buy any dip. I must now eat my chips dry...

#15     May 6, 2010
  6. That's what backup accounts, PCs, and phone brokers are for!

My internet actually cut out part way through, just switched over to my laptop with a mobile internet card. You need to have backups in place because today you could have been stuck in a big position then got back on when it's massively against you, all your resting orders were filled etc.

I have desktop, laptop, and Iphone setup to trade. And can always use phone or my 2nd cellphone if needed. Never rely on one system.

#16     May 6, 2010
  7. I know a guy who could not buy or sell during the run-down. Lost money. He's pissed, as he should be.

#17     May 6, 2010
  8. At one point my broker sent a msg saying that the volatility was creating issues with the system and to trade carefully. You think?

#18     May 6, 2010
  9. poyayan

poyayan

ACN was traded at $0.01 at one point.

#19     May 6, 2010
  10. Just hope this means some sustained intraday movement is coming back to the markets. Tired of nickle and diming it...

#20     May 6, 2010