Shorted RFX... Hmm.. Now what?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by tnewman1, Oct 17, 2005.

1. lol. do you think you did? the company is filing for bankruptcy. you cant be that stupid, can you?

#11     Oct 18, 2005
  2. i like the "... hmm..." part.

#12     Oct 18, 2005
  3. Actually I have never held shares in anything that was halted and filing for reorg ..... still dont.

That said, it seems that if you are short and you never get the opportunity to get filled on a buyback then you have made nothing..... but you borrowed the shares ..... who is holding the bag ? Unless you had an offsetting hedge it seems that you are not automatically OK ......

#13     Oct 18, 2005
  4. if stock goes to zero, you never have to buy them back and never have to book the gain.

#14     Oct 18, 2005
  5. ..but did you automatically get the credit ? That is, how is the trade ultimately settled ?

#15     Oct 18, 2005
  6. it just shows up as p/l. think about it, if you buy a stock at 10 and it goes to 30, you made 20, you dont have to sell it do you?

#16     Oct 18, 2005
  7. it appears straightforward: I was thinking about the setllement ... if the broker had the shares to short originally then it should already be accounted for ...... guess I will have to revisit this scenario .....

#17     Oct 18, 2005
  8. someone may know. distressed debt guys would have no problems with this.

#18     Oct 18, 2005
  9. nassau

nassau

I have an idea...
    not sure how it would work but would be willing to find out.

You have shorts at ie 10..there are obviously traders that would be willing to exit there longs at X...
    IF the stock is going to continued to be halted and you wish to exit ....I don't see why your broker will not do the internal trade for you...
    If the broker is willing to place a ie bid/ask in the 5dollar range and the stock is still untradable in the open market I don't know of any law that would prohibit the two traders doing the trade...especially if you are both say via IB on smart route..

This obviously would be harder to do if both traders are at different brokers...but it can be done..

w

#19     Oct 18, 2005
  10. i dont think its legal. if the stock is halted it is on every exchange.

#20     Oct 18, 2005