Shorted OIL

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by empee, Jun 12, 2006.

1. thee olde seasonality argument.

oil is coming down, friend.

surf:D

#21     Jul 7, 2006
  2. segv

segv

You seem pretty confident, surfer. Have you incorporated inflation-adjusted historical oil prices, low interest rates, capped production, steadily increasing demand, prolonged war in the middle east, terrorism, and supply disruptions in your forecast?

I have, but the arrow is not pointing down on my screen. Other than the revival of the "drive-at-55" program, or a new miracle technology - what is it that you think will bring prices down?

-segv

#22     Jul 7, 2006
  3. contango

contango

It was a weak jobs report, further increasing the chance that the Fed has stopped raising rates. So crude remains bullish but we had a lot of profit taking Friday. Driving season is almost over so a lot of people stopped buying the rumour and started selling the fact that this was the highest gasoline demand EVER! So much for hybrid cars eating into gas demand huh? :)

Now we have hurricane season upon us and whilst, no-one wants a major disaster it's not exactly wise to short this market right now.

Last week oil made a run and tried to breakout. This week it might just make it. If it breaks above $77 and then $80 I expect that there'll be about $2-$3 of further slippage before any meaningful ceiling kicks in. It's gonna be fun either way! :)

#23     Jul 8, 2006
  4. contango

contango

On behalf of trend followers the world over, I thank you for your generosity.

#24     Jul 8, 2006
  5. LOL

#25     Jul 8, 2006
  6. Would a pause in interest rates in the near future stimulate the economy or would it take a decline in the interest rate to do that ? This slowdown likely began during the 4.75 and 5.00 percent area, we're now at 5.25 , possibly heading toward 5.5.
    I think Merrill Lynch was saying that back in January the atmosphere was one that would cause a larger decline that is expected.
    A pause may cause a temporay cheer in the stock market but I don't see how data will come in stronger as a result of a pause since the slowing was caused at a lower rate.

#26     Jul 8, 2006
  7. Many chartists use RSI (14). Looking back as far as 2003 it is difficult to find a time when divergence did not forecast at least a small decline in the CL contract- like rain clouds , you know its coming but not exactly when .
    Shorting oil for longer time frames could be costly, you'd pretty well have to be in the industry to know when a trend as strong as this one will change.

#27     Jul 8, 2006