Short Time Frames Losing Their Edges?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Corso482, Feb 2, 2003.

1. mental masturbation, hilarious, there is a lot of that in the trading world, prob why its so confusing for most

#51     Feb 3, 2003

2. By statistacal do you mean something that will occur more often than not? I don't think so. There are many traders who lose on most of their trades but end up with a profit. Longer term trend traders come to mind.

Doesn't this assume everyone is looking for the same thing? Just because you sell and someone else buys doesn't mean you both think the price is going down.

If inefficiencies didn't exist, then please explain how a market trends?

On the contrary I think daytraders add to the volatility and hence the inefficiancy, especially in the shorter time frames.

#52     Feb 3, 2003
  3. those of us who grind out dimes for a living are laughing

#53     Feb 3, 2003
  4. hey OvertheLine, lately my slice has been only 8 or 9 cents, tough January.

#54     Feb 3, 2003
  5. Ever heard of the "random walk with a drift" model? :)

#55     Feb 4, 2003
  6. you people are mentally masturbating yourselves with this thread. None of this is usefull for making money.

#56     Feb 4, 2003
  7. Andre

Andre

you people are mentally masturbating yourselves with
    this thread. None of this is useful for making money.

I dunno. Perhaps you're right. No, you probably are. However, as I've reminded one successful trader (usually after he has dismissed something or someone's rather pedestrian observation as being incredibly irrelevant)... "You've already figured this stuff out. Don't you kind of have to process this all for oneself, chose your indicators, what to use, what to ignore- before one can make it simple?" (Simple shouldn't be confused with easy.)

He pretty much agrees when I put it to him like that. In readings and in my discussions with traders, I get the sense that it’s incredibly simple. He just doesn't have alot of patience for folks still figuring it all out. He's admitted that he's not a great mentor. But I've always felt fortunate to have his ear. Even though he can be pretty abrupt and scathing, I'd rather hear it from him than the market.

André

#57     Feb 4, 2003
  8. i didn't say that to be rude, but eventually you realize that all that angst and endless theory doesn't matter. If it did then every Phd. in finance or economics would be a wealthy trader.

#58     Feb 4, 2003
  9. Andre

Andre

No sweat, Mondo... didn't take them personally, or as rude.

André

#59     Feb 4, 2003
  10. Don't mean to be rude either, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you have been truly exposed to those "endless" theories (read "have a PhD in the area"), you have no business judging them. What you were taught in an undergrad or masters finance course about those theories is a vague simplification that doesn't even begin to portray the potential uses.
    Not all finance PhD's research things that are directly applicable to trading. Some are (myself including) and most of the latter greatly benefit from such research either via their own trading, or by taking part in trading ventures, consulting, being on boards etc.

#60     Feb 4, 2003