Short the dollar hard

Discussion in 'Economics' started by RiceRocket, Apr 20, 2009.

1. you are so cynical yet funny.....

#21     Apr 21, 2009
  2. I'm taking the other side.

Short CHF CAD GBP EUR AUD NZD SEK
    Long JPY

#22     Apr 21, 2009
  3. If you want to expose yourself to so many currencies on the short side, go for it. It doesn't sound like you're serious though, or even that the trade is worthwhile.

#23     Apr 21, 2009
  4. I am mechanically trading a basket of 8 currencies. Why would I not be serious; I apologize if being net long the USD goes against the ET consensus.

#24     Apr 21, 2009
  5. I don't have enough knowledge about this subject matter to comment but just wanted to say Papa Roach is not the one to say something to sound cool or smart. Check out his posts regarding natty, probably some of the most educational and insightful contributors on ET
    And he raises a valid point. Basically all he is saying is properly understand the product before you trade it
    Nonetheless, good luck with your trading.

#25     Apr 21, 2009
  6. A lot of the loans in Eastern Europe were mada at 110%. house plus furniture etc becasue of the rising prices. Some of them carry super high intrest rates of around 10%. Many of them are denominated in foreing currency like CHF. It helps that Swiss are lowering rates but the currencies of the region took a big hit. So many people are struggling with payments.

#26     Apr 21, 2009
  7. At the moment, it's all the same trade, in my view... Specifically, risk aversion higher = VIX higher = equities lower = DXY higher.

#27     Apr 21, 2009
  8. Aud is the only thing worth buying longer term (as opposed to intraday) in my opinion so I'm starting to build a long Aud/Usd position, it's about the only thing which pays interest!

#28     Apr 21, 2009
  9. Aussie and Kiwi are both a wee bit overvalued here (Kiwi more than Aussie), I think, but it's not too bad. Not a bad trade to have on, long-term.

#29     Apr 21, 2009
  10. I think it's got potential, capital gain when it eventually rallies to Sept '08 levels and a decent yield on the small maintenance margin while I'm waiting, seems like a good deal to me.

Commodity currencies are a safe bet in the long term I believe, what else is there?

#30     Apr 21, 2009