Short Term Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jasonchr, Oct 5, 2002.

1. jasonchr

jasonchr

I am new to stock trading and have enjoyed reading the various posts, articles and reviews on this site. I would like to know if anyone has any particular books or information that would be helpful for short term trading. I am a college student, so I don't have time (or enough money) to do day trading but I would like to learn how to make trades lasting a couple of days or more. Are there day trading strategies that can be applied? I appreciate your help.

Jason C. Mauney

2. <I am a college student, so I don't have time (or enough money) to do day trading but I would like to learn how to make trades lasting a couple of days or more. Are there day trading strategies that can be applied? I appreciate your help.>

Wait till you have lots of time so you can do your own research--like, duh, the library, bookstore. Does this reply sound rude, actually it's kind. It won't take your money and is teaching you the most basic lessons--trust yourself , teach yourself, and be prepared to spend more time than you can imagine. There are no cookbooks.

3. BSAM

BSAM

4. tampa

tampa

Learn all that you can about Gann's Rule of 44...

It is invaluable - trust me on this one.

5. jasonchr

jasonchr

Market-do - I appreciate the advice -

Perhaps clarification is in order - I am definitely willing to spend the time necessary to educate myself. The time reference was referring to the fact that I cannot be in front of my computer all the time.

What I have been confused about, however, is trying to figure out the best materials for short term trading. Short-term trading and daytrading seem to be used interchangeably - will daytrading material help with short term trading? I have ordered several books on the topic such as -

Come into My Trading Room
    Big Trends in Trading
    Rules of the Trade
    Four Steps to Trading Success

I guess I am trying to figure out if there are people who short term trade exclusively or if people just blend it in with daytrading.

Thanks,
    Jason C. Mauney

6. gnome

gnome

What is Gann's Rule 44? :D

7. I takes 44 time periods to double your money.

A daytrader can double his money in 44 days.

A buy and hold investor will double their money in 44 years.

A good scalper can double his account in 44 minutes.

8. tampa

tampa

People often make fun of things they don't or can't understand.

9. tampa

tampa

Here is an example of the power of Gann.

Friday's low in the ES? 792.25

Gann called the 18th cycle in the Rule of 44 the Death/Rebirth wave. 18x44 =792! (missed by one tick!)

Have you heard of The Square of 144?

5.5x144 = 792!

Laugh if you like. But I'll trade that kind of power all day long!

10. You'll have to explain it further if you want me to make fun of it. I need to have something to go on. According to my charts, the 18th wave is due Monday.

The wave Friday was just the back to school wave.

28.146935 squared

The death wave already occured and these are just aftershocks.

It didn't show up on the charts because it occurred on a Saturday (sabbath).

Better double check your math.

#10     Oct 5, 2002