Short-term trading with Oscar

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cgtrader, Jan 18, 2007.

1. LOL..That was well written it sounds poetic.

So what do you think Oscar's angle might be? I've noticed "these misprints" also but didn't think much of it. However, it does bring up very interesting speculation and suspicion .IMO. What I don't understand though, is; his trade rec. don't seem worth paying for. But then again, maybe his goal isn't to sell trade recommendations, but something else possibly. :cool:

And it's somewhat suspicious how the apparent biggest support for Oscar in this thread is a moderator on his site. Carboni seems like a trustworthy guy, but I don't know him...lol I think he helps the traders who follow him, however, Is it worth whatever particular fees he may ultimately charge.

#51     May 1, 2007
  2. gfmchina

gfmchina

Dr. Greenback

His calls have been very good, if you take the time to really examine them.

His calls require large stops but for someone with adequate capital ($10,000 per contract), I think a Newbie could do A LOT worse. No overtrading, decent risk reward, and a good winning percentage since he started his service.

One problem for North American traders is that you have to be on-the-ball and enter your orders in the overnight session, but that is not much to ask, IMHO.

I believe the typo the other day was inexcusible, but I really believe it was a human error in the flash update (it happened at an ungodly hour in the US) ... there was a minor insigificant mistake in the flash update yesterday also, but it did not impact the GREAT TRADES yesterday.

#52     May 1, 2007
  3. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Why don't you let Oscar manage your money for you in that case? After all he is a broker. You can sleep at night & carry on with your business in the morning. Sounds convenient. OMNI is an advertising tool, as the man says himself - "Enjoy the ride for now".

#53     May 1, 2007
  4. gfmchina

gfmchina

JSS:

I am not in the US so it is no problem for me :)

I trade my own style, I am simply pointing out the fact that I think the guy's calls are very good.

Of course there will be a change in the service, but for now everyone using Oscar is getting an extended - and very profitable - free trial.

When Oscar announces a paid service, people will definitely be in a position to evaluate if the price he charges is a good deal. I really don't understand the negativity towards Oscar. People following his calls are making money.

:confused:

#54     May 1, 2007

5. Oscar seems to be the real deal. Question is, why does he put so much effort putting out this info as a free service?

( probably plans to sell the signals at a future date)

I do agree with his analysis. Small correction in a macro ( inflationary) up trend.

#55     May 1, 2007
  6. I still think Oscar is legit. I am merely exploring the possibility that he may have an alter motive. It's a fair question. Like I said, I noticed the misprints before and didn't think much of them. There was an occasion last week where he told traders to "go to market" @1495.50 yet, futures only reached 1497.25 during the day or pre-market. And apparently, he's done this quite a few times which is fine every so often. However, if he continues having more "misprints", he and the reliability of his site loses creditability IMO.

#56     May 1, 2007
  7. But, I still don't see why people would pay for his service as it stands now, assuming it is reliable. His entry points for the most part are simply enough to identify on your own. And I don't think his recommendations are that important. But, is there something else he provides worthy of a fee? He can take credit for his directional analysis regardless of his own entry call because no trader should rely on any one indicator without flexibility anyway.

#57     May 1, 2007
  8. volente_00

volente_00

Perhaps it is envy. I can understand if he is making bad calls but the guy is pretty good for what his service cost. I am sure he will eventually start to charge.

#58     May 1, 2007

9. I don't know what his angle is, but time will tell, no doubt. What put him in my crosshair was the incessant spamming in numerous trading forums from his goon platoon under the guise that they are just fellow traders trying to pass the word, when in fact, they seem to be in bed with him.

Furthermore, when asked outright if he is going to eventually charge for the calls, he gives a song and dance routine only to end the spun verbiage with "enjoy it for now." Asked if he is a broker, he sidesteps the question with "call me." When someone with an obvious motive displays cryptic behavior, it raises suspicion. He could honestly answer legitimate questions without revealing any vital information if he so chose. It's called integrity.

The question of why he was unable to make his mortgage payments while trading goes unanswered, yet he wants others to follow his calls under the pretense of "do your own homework," trailed by, "follow my calls and I will make you money."

Could be oscar retains ties to the floor and has access to the orders, thus his pinning the low or high within a tick or two, which would explain the consistant "typos." As for his S/R levels, their is no magic there, as anyone well versed in the markets can predict those with consistant accuracy as well. It very well could be that his daily analysis is not his at all, but comes from someone else's work. The fact remains, that after 25 years on the floor, the best he was able to do was "make a living." And since leaving the floor, he was unable to do even that. Speaks volumes.

Oscar is quite charismatic, and that will be his ultimate salvation. As such, there will be an endless stream of koolaid drinkers coming to his rescue believing he can do no wrong, regardless of what he does. Most likely, these lemmings have blown out their savings trying to trade on their own, and oscar is their newfound savior. They are the ones with delusions of grandeur that they can quit their day job, trade for a few hours a day, and then spend the rest of their time on the golf course living the dream. This seems to be oscar's target audience.

In summary, I predict he's just another snake oil salesman in a
    new shiny sharkskin suit. Let's see how he does when the markets turn choppy. Are we supposed to believe, that given the tens of thousands before him, many with Ph.D.'s, that he somehow is the one who found the holy grail? Marketing at it's finest.

st

#59     May 1, 2007

10. Sheep are fed twice a day, yet are led to slaughter eventually.

Key word is "following."

st

#60     May 1, 2007