short short etf + short long etf

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by Sundog, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Sundog

Sundog

Oldtime, you are right.

I trade mostly vstoxx future spreads. I like butterflies to trade the term structure. Pricey, but good risk/reward.
    Otherwise I like to trade calendar spreads on Dax and Eurostoxx 50 options.If I win a bit on the long vol, I convert into a put credit spread or call debit spread slightly otm with the idea that vol will come down a bit again and price will go up. Currencies and metals, especially copper gives a good heads up on coming vol.

Outright, I am a chicken.

#21     Nov 11, 2012
  2. if you are spreading, trading costs are the least of your concerns. Since the beginning of time, that has always been the objection of outight traders.

Spreading is a very messy business, and isn't going to be decided by a few trading costs.

To call it arbitrage is really an overstatemet. That's what smart people with computers do.

But then again, I have only been trying to spread forex for the last year or so, so I have a hell of a lot more to learn than I have to talk about.

#22     Nov 11, 2012
  3. well the problem with outright is you get stopped out on any big move

Don't get me wrong, I actually made a living scalping that ES, but after five years off, I started fooling around with that ES vs YM spread. Nothing ever came from it, but in retrospect, my life expectancy would be about twice as long if I had figured that out when they first invented YM.

#23     Nov 11, 2012
  4. Sundog

Sundog

Ok, I´ll give some food for thought.

Everybody knows AUD/JPY is inversly correlated to USD/CAD.

Just take into consideration one more currency.

Trade AUD/JPY + EUR/USD against USD/CAD. Sure, you will find out the rest. What if you multiply the 3 currencies ?

Cheers

#24     Nov 11, 2012
  5. Sundog

Sundog

I was off as well a long time, started last year again. I still work in a job, which I like.

Scalping is psychologically so intense, I am not able to do that. Well, maybe I never tried it with full motivation.

#25     Nov 11, 2012
  6. you so sure about that aud.jpy? I guess different strokes for different folks. That's what makes a market.

I'm getting killed on this short usd, because there is nothing decent to short it against.

That's what happens when you depart from spreading and go outright. I could have made a killing if I was right, but I was wrong and got killed.

So yes, I like being long something and being short something else, you can always fix it in the mix. They won't write books about you, but you can pay a few bills.

#26     Nov 11, 2012
  7. Sundog

Sundog

Since i do not trade forex anymore.

Well, but I still use currencies an indicator for equities.

What I did, trading aud/jpy + eur/usd vs. usd/cad

Example:
    Buying 10000 units aud/jpy + 10000 units eur/usd + 22500 units usd/cad. 22500 because the pip size for Aud/jpy is 12.6 and usd/cad at that time was about 1.1.
    Interest was canceled out in that trade recently !
    If you multiply the 3 currencies as an indicator, long term below 100 is dirt dirt cheap. That was 2009 during the crash!

Otherwise nice to know US DollarIndex is almost the inverse to Eur/Usd (1/USD Index)*100 equals rougly Eur/Usd, since it is roughly 60% of the index. Idea could be to trade
    USDollar Index futures or whatever, maybe an ETF vs. Euro/Usd.

Try it in an paper account if you dont trust the whole idea.

Good Trading!

#27     Nov 11, 2012
  8. Sundog

Sundog

Also nice to know usd/cad is inversly correlated to equites.
    Ergo:
    Aud/Jpy + Eur/Usd higly correlates with Equities.

Aud/Jpy is tracked as risk On/Off indicator for equities since it is one of the carry trade currencies.
    The Nikkei also higly correlates with Aud/Jpy.
    Japan is a huge importer of commodities from australia and oil from canada and the us. Oil price below present Aud/jpy price is dirt cheap for me as well.

No Liability assumed ! :)

Freestockcharts.com is always good for quick overview.

#28     Nov 11, 2012
  9. yeah, that's not very different from what I do. Now you are making me worried, because you don't sound very profitable or experienced.

#29     Nov 11, 2012
  10. Sundog

Sundog

Well, I dont trade for a living, but I cannot complain so far.

#30     Nov 11, 2012