Short Selling

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Backwardation, Feb 21, 2004.

1. gaj

gaj

no, there's no rule that says you can't short under $5 stocks.

some brokerages / clearing firms won't allow their clients, but it's their decision, not a 'law'.

#11     May 17, 2004
  2. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

trade holders if youre worried about upticks...

#12     May 17, 2004
  3. qazmax

qazmax

INET does not have to follow the up-bid rule.

But the brokerage firm that uses INET does.

So if your brokerage firm never tells INET to always obey the rule for their firms orders, then you as a client make out big time. However, your firm will be fined heavily if caught when they are audited.

It is a feature they can turn on and off per the firms request.

:)

#13     May 17, 2004
  4. joema

joema

i am new here.
    i 've heard that you can short sell the stocks no matter downtick or uptick on ARCA. is't that right?

#14     May 18, 2004
  5. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

read this thread from the begining...

#15     May 18, 2004
  6. I would like to know too

#16     May 24, 2004
  7. for Nasdaq only (my experience is all listed) can you offer a stock short below the current best bid on Arca? I understood that the "bid uptick" rule applied. But the info in this thread contradicts this. Anyone?

#17     May 24, 2004
  8. You can "offer" a stock short at any time is my understanding. You cannot sell stock "long" that you do not own. The "uptick bid" vs. the "uptick trade" rule applies on OTC trades.

Don

#18     May 25, 2004
  9. Yes you can. I' do it almost everyday.

#19     May 25, 2004

10. Be careful, I just checked with an official at Arca. Listed stocks are subject to the same uptick rule as the NYSE (uptick trade, zero plus). Naz stocks may be sold on downticks on Arca (according to Arca).

Don

#20     May 25, 2004