Short sell a declining stock?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ricter, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Ricter

Ricter

According to investopedia, only a few of the most liquid stocks, such as QQQQ, are exempt from the uptick rule...

#11     Jan 15, 2007
  2. gaj

gaj

funn historical things from this study:
    www.haas.berkeley.edu/finance/shortliq.pdf

Beginning in October 1931, short sales were prohibited on downticks on the NYSE.
    Short sales could take place only at zero or plus ticks. For the next six years, there were other
    added impediments to shorting. For example, in late spring of 1932, the United States Senate
    published the names of those with the largest outstanding short positions in a brazen attempt to
    discourage shorts by shaming them as unpatriotic or immoral.

(then talks about the 1938 implementation of rule 10a-1 and the 1939 modification which is basically what was in place as of a couple years ago)

#12     Jan 15, 2007
  3. gaj

gaj

for naz it is:

any naz 100 stock.
    any stock on http://www.nasdaqtrader.com/aspx/regshopilotlist.aspx
    (i believe) any ETF.
    (and some others, too).

the uptick rule is different on naz and the nyse.

#13     Jan 15, 2007
  4. bighog

bighog Guest

Trade the stock index. Short till you drop! also there is no such thing as "insider trading"

I never will forget my bro in law when i informed him he was playing the money game with half a deck... .. :D

After i informed him that trading stocks was half a loaf he said i was goofy to say you could make money when stocks went down. hahaha My sister who worked for years for a family owned grain elevator informed him i was correct. I always tout futures as the way to go but that is what i like best. Now i do not go AC-DC for pleasure but i definitely go both ways for trading. HA
    As an after thought , i will throw this in. it was in old notes i review now and then.

TRADERS ARE NOT NORMAL PEOPLE Normal is when people keep buying as the RISK increases, now that is fine as long as prices keep going up. But people are only on the assumption of ever higher prices, they are not cognizant of the ever increasing risk associated with rising prices.

A normal persons vision of ever rising prices preclude them from formulating a plan of action in the event of prices reversing and falling. When this happens normal people will become very fearful and do virtually nothing as prices continue to fall. Finally, usually after prices hit bottom normal people will sell out the losers to relieve the pain.

Normal people are FEARLESS as prices rise.
    Normal people are FEARFUL as prices rise. They are prone to take small profits fearful of losing a profit. The main reason 90% of norman people lose is because normal people are FEARFUL of taking a loss.

The reason normal people become fearful as prices fall is because they fail to get out as prices fall further and because they never let being FEARFUL od losing enter their mind in the first place. The normal people do not plan on losing, they only plan on winning. Why admit losing when winning is a cakewalk?

Normal people fail to visualize ahead. Whey never answer the famous "WHAT IF?" question. What if prices fail to continue to go up? What if prices in fact do fall?

The normal person fails to be prepared for adverse conditions at the very moment fear takes hold of the normal person when in fact the only solution would indeed be immediate action.

In the face of fear, actions require "COURAGE", courage to face fear, courage to admit defeat. courage is strength, FEAR is weakness. The mkt is not the enemy, FEAR is the enemy. Roosevelt said it best: "the only thing we have to FEAR is FEAR itself"

normal people are taught to hang in there and face down defeat. That might work in some doings in life, but not in trading a losers game.

Trading requires winning in a losers game. Are you up to the task?

boring weelends with cold and snow out is good to practice typing and reviews. ... :D

#14     Jan 15, 2007
  5. Ricter

Ricter

Lol, thanks bighog, and get well soon. :D

#15     Jan 16, 2007