Short-Sale Rule In Jeopardy

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Baron, Oct 9, 2000.

1. This is going to sound very strange to a lot of people, and I'll probably take a lot of flak for saying this, but I actually like the uptick rule.

The way I figure it: All traders can chase a stock up and compete on a fairly level playing field when going long. But less than 25% of all daytraders trade at a professional firm and have access to bullets and/or conversions, so the number of people that compete with me for hitting bids (shorting downticks) is much less. And there is definitely a difference in my P&L between up days and down days. When I look over my trades, I make a lot more money going short. Even when the market was going straight up, I used bullets almost daily, selling downticks and pounding bids is a very profitable business.

So while I know everyone who can't short downticks right now will be in heaven if they can start doing it, the selfish side of me doesn't want the competition. I have a feeling some of the other prof. guys here would selfishly agree.

-Jim

#11     Aug 14, 2001
  2. ddefina

ddefina

Apparently more intelligent people are running the show now. The uptick rule is equivalent to outlawing guns because they kill people or parking our cars because we might crash. I can't wait to make even more money.

#12     Aug 14, 2001
  3. dozu888

dozu888

Getting rid of the rule wont do much good as many may expect.

Easier shorting -> more shorts -> short squeeze become more violant -> less profit in shorting generally speaking.

#13     Aug 14, 2001
  4. RAY

RAY

I agree,

At first it will be a wind fall of profits, but soon after going short will be just like going long. Small gain at most.

#14     Aug 14, 2001
  5. fast

fast

#15     Oct 5, 2001