Short now when you still have the chance

Discussion in 'Economics' started by niteowl8, Aug 6, 2009.

1. A break of 850-880 in the SP would put this bull run on ice.

#11     Aug 6, 2009
  2. wjk

wjk

Good point. Here is an article that touches on how the fed acted in 1929 and the years that followed:

http://www.hoover.org/publications/policyreview/3476271.html

#12     Aug 6, 2009
  3. the1

the1

The basic premise of this article is correct -- you can't fix a debt bubble with more debt. All that does in inflate the baloon further. The market will crash again but it could be years before that happens. If inflation kicks in all will be well. If it doesn't look out. If you're wondering if inflation is coming back in all you have to do is watch Oil. Until we lick our dependence on Oil it will be the best inflation barometer because as Oil goes higher the cost of goods and services go higher. Inflation is on the horizon -- lots of it. The market will go higher until inflation chokes it off. Conclusion: A crash is not imminent.

#13     Aug 6, 2009
  4. ess1096

ess1096

Today's DOW chart looks very similar to the 1929-30 chart. I made a comment about that in June in this thread http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=168289

The 1929 DOW rallied off the bottom for 5 months for a 52% gain before turning downward for two years blowing away the 1929 lows. A similar gain in today's DOW would put it near the 9800 level. I doubt the DOW will have a monthly close above the 20 month MA this year.

#14     Aug 6, 2009
  5. I have been a stock market bear during this entire recent 4 month rally and missed out on some pretty hefty gains. However, the 200 day moving average is starting to move up and I agree that the massive government money-printing program has temporarily turned the stock market around. However, all of this debt, which is virtually un-repayable, will lead to a day of reckoning in the future. The coming decline may not even happen this year. However, I would not be surprised if we had a pretty significant Black Monday, Friday, (you pick the day) sometime in September or October of this year. So, I am cautiously long a few stocks and ETFs, but am being careful to maintain my stops.

#15     Aug 6, 2009
  6. logikos

logikos

Pull up a chart of the Dow for the last 50 years.. MONTHLY chart.

What appears to be forming is the right shoulder of a massive head and shoulders formation. While I agree a crash is imminent, it might not be for 4 or more years until the shoulder is fully formed. We'll probably see the Dow exceed 10K and the president will be sure to take credit.

#16     Aug 7, 2009