Short Inventory on IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by HotTip, Jun 13, 2006.

1. sprstpd

sprstpd

When did this upgrade occur? Could this have something to do with the "COULD NOT VALUE THIS CONTRACT AT THIS TIME" error boxes that are popping up about 50% of the time I try to short stocks? It started happening this Monday to me.

I realize there are other threads that are talking about this issue - I am just curious if there is a link between the new inventory control system and this new dialog box problem.

#21     Jun 13, 2006
  2. IBj

IBj Interactive Brokers

It looks like an incorrect message. when one resubmits the trade request, the expected availability message is delivered. I think it is a messaging problem that crept in with the new system. We are addressing it.

#22     Jun 14, 2006
  3. Jeez HotTip,

If you think "most likely they were trying to short pink sheet/OTC stocks" is dismissive you really are not close to getting it.

You might be correct if you assumed that if I said "HotTip is a wanker" then I would be being dismissive. But of course I would never say a thing like that.

We all get a fantastic extra service from the IB people here and if they don't want to respond to people being rude to them ... well ... I say that thats their right and none of the rest of us will judge them poorly for it.

On the other hand, I will always be happy to respond to someone being rude to the IB reps ... consider it a hobby :)

#23     Jun 14, 2006
  4. ecritt

ecritt

It looks to me that IBJ was simply conveying facts to you. It's a common phenomenon: people trying to short stocks that are not shortable. Don't be so sensitive...

IB isn't perfect but the cost savings more than make up for it.

#24     Jun 14, 2006
  5. ibj--do u know how can i get rid of that message that appears after i place an order on booktrader?
    ''are u sure u want to transmit this order?"; quite a pain to have to place a fake order every mornin' to check the box 'check here if u dont want to see this message again", becuase u cannot check "no" if u want that box to go away for good, therefore u order has to go trough..

thx in advance

#25     Jun 14, 2006
  6. cheers ibj

#26     Jun 14, 2006
  7. sent reply

#27     Jun 14, 2006
  8. IBj

IBj Interactive Brokers

OK, found the problem. It is a timing issue where the order needs to be evaluated by 2 algorithms and the first one that finishes immediately creates a message. We are seeing that pricing code is coming back before the availability logic so a misleading message is being sent. For now, treat this as a availability rejection and the fix will roll out over the next few days. If it is an urgent problem, please PM me your account number(s) and I can get you upgraded faster.

#28     Jun 14, 2006
  9. gr8stock

gr8stock

I do not know any other broker that would read problems that people mentioned on this forum and fixing them so soon.

My suggestion to IB: stop changing TWS
    Every time they add some stupid new features, it creates more problems for real traders. We need stable and reliable trading system. That was the case with IB for years, but its getting worst.
    Maybe they have too many programmers that need to be replaced by real traders.

#29     Jun 14, 2006
  10. i tried shorting the spy after hrs just to check things and it said zero shares

#30     Jun 14, 2006