Short Inventory on IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by HotTip, Jun 13, 2006.

1. HotTip

HotTip

No, I've gotten that message on PARL POZN and TUES over the last week (and limited shares on ZLC). None of them are pink sheet/OTCBB stocks. In fact, before I short, I always check to see that the $traded avg (i.e., 3mo avg vol. X previous close) is at least $1.5 million. If its $traded avg is less, I won't trade it. The only thing they have in common is that they are down alot for the day I was trying to short them. Most likely daytraders like myself used up the inventory, but I checked multiple times during the days I traded them and IB never managed to acquired more inventory.

I just checked the IB website, and PARL, TUES & ZLC are all listed as "shortable stocks". POZN was the only one to not show up. So don't try to insult our intelligence IBj

#11     Jun 13, 2006
  2. i've been getting lots of these

#12     Jun 13, 2006
  3. IBj

IBj Interactive Brokers

Just found the problem on the big ETFs. Dont know how long it will take to fix. Matbe 20 minutes, but for tomorrow certainly. Sorry, people.

#13     Jun 13, 2006
  4. IBj

IBj Interactive Brokers

People who are polite, I will try to assist. People who are not polite can access assistance through other channels as they see fit.

#14     Jun 13, 2006
  5. I am new to trading SPY on IB. Apart from today's technical difficulties, is SPY ALWAYS available to short?

#15     Jun 13, 2006
  6. IBj

IBj Interactive Brokers

When there are no system problems, yes. We have access to one of the best ETF inventories on the street for QQQQ, SPY, DIA, SMH, IWM. (And system probs in this area is uncommon).

#16     Jun 13, 2006
  7. john99

john99

I checked inventory the night before, and apparently they ran out of supply during the day on some stocks. I also never recieved a message, I found out stocks were unavailble by clicking the sell button and having it dissapear. I checked the rejected trades in the audit function, and I found what was happening. Things like OIH have been unavailable lately. Luckily we still have XLE as an ETF short.

#17     Jun 13, 2006
  8. Wow. Really?

#18     Jun 13, 2006
  9. HotTip

HotTip

When you make dismissive assumptions about what people are doing (i.e., "most likely they were trying to short pink sheet/OTC stocks") you're asking for impolite replies. :)

But, in all seriousness, can you please address my previous post with respect to PARL TUES & ZLC?

#19     Jun 13, 2006
  10. inet

inet

Thank you.

#20     Jun 13, 2006