Short Ideas "if" Corona Virus Hits Our Shores In a Big Way

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by vanzandt, Feb 14, 2020.

1. easymon1

easymon1

cued up here it go

'scuse me sir, i wanted to sell a contract please...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    #11     Feb 14, 2020
    AKUMATOTENSHI likes this.
  2. One problem vz, PLNT could be empty for the next three months as everyone stays away due to Coronavirus fears, but everyone is locked into contracts and will continue to pay their monthly dues.

I guess you could make an argument that new memberships will slow but their model is pretty much based on recurring dues paid by people who say “it’s only $10 a month, I’ll keep the membership and start going again”.

#12     Feb 15, 2020
    vanzandt likes this.
  3. vanzandt

vanzandt

Thats a good point and I did in fact think about it. Somewhere else here, and I'll look because I don't think it was under stocks, I wrote about how the model will eventually become unsustainable growth-wise.
    The actual company makes the lions share of its money off of franchise fee's to start with. That means they have keep licensing new gyms.

Edit... I just did a search... here it is so I don't have to re-write it. https://elitetrader.com/et/threads/...ter-worths-2-short-ideas.332679/#post-4863311 Its a good thread.

But I guess if Corona did hit, it would hurt the franchisee's way more than the parent company because they need to sign people up daily. That said, even if they don't, they still need to pay their fees to the corporate office.
    As I said in that post, I wouldn't want to own one. I've crunched the numbers, its a tough business. And they have competition in all the big cities.

#13     Feb 15, 2020
  4. mt2rules

mt2rules

PTON down close to 7% since we were talking about it the other day. Looks like the bottom might fall out here with the lockup expiry on Monday, it's already broken down to the lows of 2020.

#14     Feb 21, 2020
    vanzandt likes this.
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

long healthcare?

#15     Feb 21, 2020
    AKUMATOTENSHI likes this.
  6. vanzandt

vanzandt

That's a bet on the election one way or the other. Pharma too.

#16     Feb 21, 2020
  7. Overnight

Overnight

Health care funds are dogshit compared to other sectors over the long-term, even through this coronavirus nonsense. Yeah, they are stable, but that is all they are. Stable. Might as well lock in some bond yields instead. Pffht

healthcarecrapass.JPG

You would have done much better over that time frame in *insert anything other than HC here* rather than HC funds.

And there is no reason to suspect this will change in the intermediate future. Especially if we feel the Bern in November. People need to remember that both Trump and the Dems hate health care companies, especially big pharma.

#17     Feb 21, 2020
  8. ironchef

ironchef

Go long pharmaceutical or biotech.

#18     Feb 22, 2020
  9. #19     Feb 23, 2020
  10. Short healthcare. Short major insurers. Feel the Bern.

#20     Feb 23, 2020
    Cuddles likes this.