short chinese shares, china related shares

Discussion in 'Trading' started by killATwill, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Tums

Tums

is your other handle bluestreek?

#11     Dec 30, 2006
  2. by the way, i just double checked the index components and I stand corrected: the HHI only has one similar component to HSI (sinopec). HSI composite, which isn't reflective in the hang seng futures, includes more similar issues to HHI.

Anyway, they tend to move in unison as broad buying and selling hits all of these stocks.

I am rethinking this short on hhi a second time.. I was thinking HHI had more similar components to HSI, essentially being a subset of chinese only companies of HSI. Incorrect.

hmmm... we'll see how it goes. i may cover sooner than later once again (last few times i've been lucky and its been profitable)

staying out may be wiser...

#12     Dec 30, 2006
  3. noddyboy

noddyboy

What about trading the ishares...FXI.

#13     Dec 31, 2006
  4. thats an idea. less leverage as well.

another idea...

long 1 FXI, per short 2 LFC after the ipo (jan 11)

#14     Dec 31, 2006
  5. aa35360

aa35360

Some closed end funds, like GCH, can give you varying exposure to mainland China and Hong Kong, and can be shorted as well.
    ST

#15     Dec 31, 2006
  6. the dividend yield is amazing on that thing ... any more knowledge?

honestly, i'm a little reluctant on this thing - doing this rings a little too much of trying to be right than pulling a good trade off a read of the market.

#16     Dec 31, 2006
  7. well, looks like that china short was a damn good trade. fxi getting hammered. shanghai off 4%. this is going to get bigger and eventually seep into other markets...watch

#17     Feb 2, 2007
  8. Tums

Tums

did you know, WMT is a Chinese company?

#18     Feb 2, 2007