Short Availability

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by surfer25, Mar 3, 2017.

1. zdreg

zdreg

I was not referring to Jews.

#21     Mar 4, 2017
  2. zdreg

zdreg

I was referring to people in the back office who do the actually borrowing. they don't talk to people at your level. you are not familiar with the shenanigans involved in this department. your comments imply an unfamiliarity with the inner workings of it.

your insults betray your character. you have a chip(s) on you shoulder.

#22     Mar 4, 2017
  3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I have been in the business since 1981. I have not seen or heard of whatever you are referring to with any broker I have worked for or was a customer of. This conversation is also not helpful with the topic of the question for this thread.

Have a great weekend....we will have to agree to disagree.

#23     Mar 4, 2017
  4. zdreg

zdreg

it has relevance to availability of shares and to whom it is available .

#24     Mar 4, 2017
  5. Sig

Sig

Since you can synthetically get the same effect with options as shorting, any inefficiencies in this market should be pretty easy to kill, no?

#25     Mar 5, 2017
  6. No.

Selling the synthetic (buy put, sell call at same strike) when the underlying is hard to borrow increases, not decreases, the inefficiency. The inefficiency is traded out of existence by natural longs selling their holdings and replacing with long synthetics, or it disappears as the stock comes off the hard-to-borrow list.

Example was C around March 2009. The stock was trading at ~$1 while the synthetics were trading for as little as $0.70. Stocks was impossible to borrow. Situation persisted for days.

#26     Mar 5, 2017
  7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

None of this has anything to do with what broker can get good locates.

That being said, your reference to Citibank is a rare case. The stock was part of a large convertible preferred arb that was trading at an enormous discount due to daily buy-ins of failing short stock deliveries. Citibank was also trading with volume that hit 500mm shares on many days.

Buying a put options to replace a short stock locate can get expensive for a daytrader.

#27     Mar 5, 2017
    sle likes this.
  8. Sig

Sig

I meant that the borrow costs are reflected in the synthetic with a break in put call parity equal to the borrow cost, so anyone who wanted to capture the same evil profits that this supposed overrepresented ethnic group (who aren't Jewish but we won't say who they are, Samoan?, Swedish?, Mongolian?) is reaping could do so same as them by selling the synthetic version of same.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    #28     Mar 5, 2017
  9. zdreg

zdreg

ans. is no.
    1. the security you want to short has no listed options trading.
    2. lack of liquidity in the options market to open and close the trade

#29     Mar 5, 2017
  10. Sig

Sig

If we're talking Citibank here neither of those are true are they? Even in 2009 there were options on C and they were pretty liquid weren't they?

#30     Mar 5, 2017