Short Availability

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by surfer25, Mar 3, 2017.

1. surfer25

surfer25

Thanks Robert. I appreciate the input.

#11     Mar 3, 2017
  2. zdreg

zdreg

true, however most stock loan department have a well deserved reputation for being on the dark side of Wall Street. one ethnic group is very much over-represented on the stock loan desk.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    #12     Mar 3, 2017
  3. truetype

truetype

The big Wall St firms send out indicative name & size availability pre-open. I assume Wedbush does also?

#13     Mar 3, 2017
  4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

We have a ETB list for internal use. We have a web tool for clients and the Lightspeed Trader watch list clearly shows stocks that need locates.

#14     Mar 3, 2017
  5. sle

sle

which one is that? 'cause (a) having seen plenty SLB desks, I think it's not really true and (b) it's a biased thing to say with respect to that (or any) ethnic group.

US stock borrow, while the last remaining vestige of the old times, is way more orderly and sane then many other markets. SLB rules and process in Asia, for example, are wild.

#15     Mar 3, 2017
    .sigma, Sig and Robert Morse like this.
  6. zdreg

zdreg

(b) it's a biased thing to say with respect to that (or any) ethnic group.[/QUOTE]
    this is not your 1st post where you have shown your sensitivity on ethnicity. it is not biased if it is based on reality.
    as to saying that Asia in this area is the Wild Wild West is not a comparison.

as to robert morse liking your post it is not surprising. he sticks up for WallStreet in general. vs. customers. my feeling is that he does not an advocate of a win win philosophy for both business and their clients.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    #16     Mar 3, 2017
  7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I liked it because back office and stock loan are not represented by just one ethnic group. If anything, there are still less women in these roles than there should be.

#17     Mar 3, 2017
  8. zdreg

zdreg

as opposed to other areas of back office, the stock loan desk is still dependent on connections. hence, its ethnic composition and few women.

#18     Mar 3, 2017
  9. sle

sle

Since you have never worked on Wall Street or at a hedge fund, you have no idea what is and what is not based in reality. I probably deal with more with SLB desks across the street in a course of a week then you did in your entire life.

Hell, yeah, I am sensitive to anyone being an asshole. Your post obviously implied causality/connection of a whatever ethnic group you mean and "the dark side of Wall Street". Oh, and please don't be coy and just say "Jews".
    Is equivalent to saying "This neghborhood is very dangerous at night! It's mostly Fredonians that live there!"

SLB desk is a front office function. You are confusing it with prime or something else.

#19     Mar 3, 2017
    Sig likes this.
  10. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I did not pick up on that one. If that is the reference, it is just not true and has not been true for decades.

#20     Mar 4, 2017