Short against the trend?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by billpritjr, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Also...you don't have to follow these rule exactly. Here are two variations. You could wait to short below the pivot low (38.40) which would give you further confirmation of a move downward. Or, you could short any rally into the 40 area if you believe this is a crucial resistance area.....

#11     Dec 17, 2003
  2. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

I often short when the market is up intra-day. Good days are when the Dow is up 80, 90 or 100 points. You can pretty much count on a pullback, even if just a small one. I typically short the SPY. And on weak days I'll reverse my thinking and go long after a decent intra-day decline.

#12     Dec 17, 2003
  3. T-REX

T-REX

FUTURESFUTURESFUTURES!

short with the ES and you wont have that problem.

#13     Dec 17, 2003
  4. Bob111

Bob111

i'm playing shorts only. in fact my system perform better in bull years, since there is simply more trades. so-looks like i'm almost always against trend(but almost always on MM side on open) and doing ok. moves down-much faster than rise-you can build good swing system on it. my backtests reports can be found somewhere on ET.

#14     Dec 17, 2003
  5. Nonsense....

I have been Short the following:

SNDK from 79 ..closed at 55

JBLU from 70

ERTS from 101

PNRA from 46

NTES from 70

SINA from 43

AMZN from 58

KLAC from 60

These are all over-owned and over loved..PM for details.

Best,
    David

#15     Dec 17, 2003
  6. Since we are talking some specific stocks......all of these look like good shorts in my book

CC - Sell Stop at 9.85

TSCO - Sell Stop at 36.05

ADVP - Sell Stop at 49.85

all recently coming off new highs and breaking 50-day EMA on high volume, and have heavy institutional ownership

note: TSCO is hugging 50-day EMA, once it gets some downward pressure this one is gone

these represent my opinions only of course

#16     Dec 17, 2003