Short AAPL

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by GlobalFinancier, May 19, 2006.

1. This is probably a stupid comment, but the fall of intel is probably affecting apple...I dont know why apple chose intel over amd.

- nathan

#11     Jun 1, 2006
  2. Chagi

Chagi

Intel is typically stronger for the types of products that Apple is interested in (mobile, lower power, lower heat). Manufacturing capacity is also an important consideration - AMD is rumoured to have been running flat out for the last half year or so, whereas Intel likely has surplus capacity.

Apple got burned twice in the past by manufacturing issues relating to CPUs - first by Motorolla (now known as Freescale), then by IBM. Intel may have fallen a bit behind AMD over the last year or two, but that doesn't mean that their chips are terrible.

#12     Jun 2, 2006
  3. aapl has a hard floor in the high 50s.

if you are short, beware.

#13     Jun 2, 2006
  4. Yesterday's close was interesting. Cover, sidelines for now in AAPL, yesterday's close was bullish, market is bullish too.

#14     Jun 2, 2006
  5. this stock is horribly oversold. it had a great run up last year and is being sold off for no reason other then profit taking because of the market bias.

apple is a solid company which has enough things in the hopper that it will maintain solid growth for several years.

yesterday's action at the close showed that it just got too cheap for the big boys... you can see the price-action triggered several buy systems yesterday at the open.

im maintaining my 100 target for year end.

good luck all.

-kk

#15     Jun 2, 2006
  6. Yep. It may waffle up and down a bit at around 60 but the most likely intermediate outcome is a move higher.

Good trade, GF. We're not going straight up but I think it would take something major for the market to break down further from here.

#16     Jun 2, 2006
  7. amd laptop version of their chips have worse heat issues compare to intel. even intel duo are hot enough (literally) as it is.

power consumption of amd chips are higher than intel. it was a wise decision to use intel to maintain apple's reputation on laptops.

im bias towards amd in every way. i've bot amd k6 233, xp 2000+, currently using amd64 3500+

i have a pentium m based laptop, b/c dell offere 1400x1050 resolutions which none of the amd based laptops offer at the same price level

#17     Jun 2, 2006