Short 500 AAPL at $75

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Trend Fader, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Hello,

Congrats to you for staying with your plan when others would caution to stay away. This is what makes markets. No stock continues to trend and make 52 week highs without pulling back at some point. At times it's a guessing game that pays off, as long as one isn't risking their entire trading capital or a major portion of it, it's a viable strategy.

As far as luck is concerned, I have a friend who is one of the top Dirt Late Model drivers in the nation.

http://brianbirkhoferracing.com/

There is a large banner hanging over his workbench that says,

Luck is Preparation Waiting for Opportunity
    We're not Lucky, We're Prepared

One must be prepared in order to place themselves where opportunities may arise. It isn't always a matter of if, but when.
    Trading is no different.

Good Trading and God Bless!

Kelly

#51     Dec 14, 2005
  2. ArtSushi

ArtSushi

That was a good shot !! Someone red the discussion and Apple Computer was downgraded by Bear Stearns and Banc of America Sec :)
    I am only curious why you covered at 71? I remember you made a target somewhere in 60's... this is also some kind of pants on fire... probably problem of all of us.

#52     Dec 14, 2005
  3. Considering everyone else is now putting in their own short pikes, I'd take profits too.

#53     Dec 14, 2005
  4. going long here at 72

#54     Dec 14, 2005
  5. got to love getting paid 5% to hold for 24 hours, nice trade TrendFader!

#55     Dec 14, 2005
  6. i've never seen a red hot stock like appl stay down on an overvaluation call. last year ebay got several downgrades on valuation and skied to new highs within a week every time. i'm sure monster ipod sales will leakout in the next 2 weeks and happl will sky again. but i do think aapl gets killed in 2006 as come jan there's nothing to look forward too as everyone on earth who ever wanted an ipod bought on. i had a few puts i bought at 75 but am waiting for 80 to really load

#56     Dec 14, 2005
  7. That's right joeyata1. If Apple says something bearish, then I would expect a trend change.

#57     Dec 14, 2005
  8. Hello Joye
    Can you tell me what kind of put ar u buying on apll and how long do your keep your time frame long term put or ITM puts
    thk you

#58     Dec 14, 2005
  9. I am still short .. but covered most of the position. with a stop at b/e.

I am not greedy... i'll take the quck 5% profit.

--MIKE

#59     Dec 14, 2005
  10. pinabetal

pinabetal

Be careful shorting AAPL tomm. Some demand came back in before the session ended. Alot of long stops were taken out today. Nobody can predict the gap down and the heavy downthrust that took place today. Trend fader didn't really expect that and I think he indicated so by saying "luck" was on his side in so many words. Nevertheless, one must recognize that thursday price action did show a lack of demand and a potential shorting opportunity but I doubt anyone but smart money knew of the gap down plans.

IMHO that gap down/down thrust was an engineered move by the smart money at times when they see weakness in the market. So, it could continue on down tommorrow IF they still see weakness. However, if the weakness is gone now because of this heavy down move then it should head up. The odds favor it recuperating tommorrow as demand came in before the close thus indicating strenght. However, we don't yet know for sure if that demand was from smart money or from the public. By the end of the session tommorrow we should see if the demand that came back in was smart money supporting it after gunning the long stops. If so, then a long position would be called for. In that case it should head back up tommorrow and friday. However, if the demand by the close today was the public and then it will probally continue down tommorrow. One just has to wait and see before taking a position IMO.

#60     Dec 15, 2005