Short 500 AAPL at $75

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Trend Fader, Dec 13, 2005.

1. I have actually backtested trend following and buying dips into a strong trend in the stock market on baskets of stocks.. and there is only a tiny slight edge as opposed to buying stocks in a strong uptrend. The most important factor that influences stocks that i tested was the broader market.

--MIKE

#21     Dec 13, 2005

2. I dont agree.. who says that its ideal? Can you quantify this.. or is it just something you read somewhere?

Actually, what i realized in my experience.. is that when u fade strength many times you get a much better entry and risk to reward than when u wait for a downtrend or for the stock to roll over.

#22     Dec 13, 2005

3. The trade is not hedged.. but i do have other equity longs that will hedge the short side exposure.

#23     Dec 13, 2005
  4. why in the name of everything holy do people insist on shorting 52 week highs??

WTF?

#24     Dec 13, 2005
  5. Why do you search my past posts?
    Why do I interest you so much?
    What more would you like to know of me?
    Why don't you use Google and get my REAL name? You would like that.

GET A LIFE LOSER

#25     Dec 13, 2005
  6. #1) I was curious to see just how big a nutter you are. Turns out you're a real big nutter.

#2) I have always been interested into just what makes a blithering idiot tick.

#3) Which of your meds did you go off of without Dr. supervision?

You seem very angry, losses piling up?

#26     Dec 13, 2005
  7. maybe we are almost there? apple is great but the stock has moved up rapidly. 80 could be an interesting target in the short term:

[​IMG]

#27     Dec 13, 2005
  8. man

man

can't help to post here. i second that shorting a multiweek high is rarely a pro trade. higher trading cost plus natural stock drift PLUS momentum of a strong trend is too much. shorting is a tough art. looking for bancruptcy or strong uptrends is not a pro-strategy IMHO.

#28     Dec 14, 2005
  9. Yea whatever... steven cohen from SAC was shorting the Pokemon stock (KDE) when it was like 200+ ... i guess he is not a pro trader in your book.

Read shwaggers stock market wizards book.

--MIKE

#29     Dec 14, 2005
  10. Trendfader,

you are doing the right thing and the more agressive posts you get that tell you you are an idiot to short a stock in an uptrend, the more you can be convinced that you are doing the right thing.

Its not about hitting the exact top. It is about shorting a stock where the sentiment hits extreme settings and you can be sure that a correction will come below your entry price now, no matter if it begins here or at 80 dollar. AAPL is a nice short for the next 2 years.

Good trade !

#30     Dec 14, 2005