Shoppers Crowd Stores but Spend Modestly

Discussion in 'Economics' started by uninvited_guest, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Yahoo's headlines. I wonder how this will affect the markets this week? Seems like bad news to me.
    --------------------------------------------------

Shoppers Crowd Stores but Spend Modestly

NEW YORK - The 2005 holiday shopping season got off to only a modest start over the Thanksgiving weekend as consumers responded initially to aggressive discounting and then retreated.

"There was a lot of hype, a lot of promotions and lot of people, but the results were on the lukewarm side," said Michael P. Niemira, chief economist at the International Council of Shopping Centers, estimating that the weekend's sales results were down from a year ago. He said heavy markdowns forced retailers to sell more goods in order to meet sales targets.

Analysts said there was heavy shopper traffic early Friday when stores opened even earlier than usual for the day after Thanksgiving, offering deep, deep discounts. When the early-bird specials were over, consumers lost their enthusiasm.

2. Pabst

Pabst

Perhaps not good for the guys who are exclusively bricks and mortar, but it appears on-line purchases have been through the roof.

3. oh my.. you just gotta buy$$$

I love 100% up room to go!

4. My wife was doing her part:D