$SHOP Shopify

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Cuddles, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

What's the deal with this thing. It exploded after November

Metamega likes this.
  2. It's just one of many software companies in the cloud and cloud security space that are apparently the next best thing since sliced bread. Included in this space are SHOP, WDAY,NOW, VEEV, COUP, TWLO, HUBS, NEWR, TTD, TEAM, to name a few. The cloud security space, PANW, SPLK, CYBR, PFPT, FTNT, SAIL, to name a few. Most are up 50 to 100% just since the December lows. Some are up 4 or 500% in the last 52 weeks. It seems as though anything cloud related gets a hefty premium, just like the cloud video conferencing IPO yesterday, ZM, which was up roughly 75% over the initial public offering price of $36. Most are obviously considered growth companies and heavily institutionally owned. Valuations for the most part are nosebleed, and only time will tell as to whether or not those valuations are justified.

eurusdzn and vanzandt like this.
  3. Nobert

Nobert

is it any way simmilar to 3d printing bubble ?

4. I can't say either way with any degree of certainty. I'm not up to speed on the dynamics and ramifications of the cloud, and what the possible growth potential is for the cloud space and the stocks I mentioned. Perhaps some one else here on ET could help me out. That being said, the frenzy in the sector almost immediately reminds me of the dot.com bust, although I'm not saying that is the case here. This is a market of extreme's, to the up side as well as the down side, so I'll stick to what works best for me.

Nobert likes this.
  5. sfwind

sfwind

The cloud names look toppy to me. I am waiting for the market's reaction to Q1 earnings...

6. vanzandt

vanzandt

I don't know if this portends a major sell-off soon... but there sure are a lot of (historically) defensive stocks making all time highs. Wonder why.

Proctor
    Kimberly Clark
    Tysen
    McDonalds
    PPG
    Wendy's
    Unilever

(tech)
    Intel
    Cisco
    Microsoft

Smart money?

[​IMG]

Nobert likes this.
  7. looking like some short covering is underway

vanzandt likes this.
  8. ironchef

ironchef

Explosive growth.

9. the model is rather difficult to result in profitability unless they can scale massively to increase margin. But its EC story focused on small-mid size companies is a good one and user growth has indeed been impressive..stock is overpriced but well who cares? at this stock price and overall market level, will try shorting 1000 shares to see how it goes then scale up or abandon

eurusdzn likes this.
  10. Cuddles

Cuddles

I care, because I missed it.

#10     May 6, 2019