shocking (NOT) IB down AGAIN @ night. help finding an alternative PLEASE...

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by gangof4, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Only when they behave like wankers equalizer.

#61     Jul 26, 2007
  2. Steve_IB

Steve_IB Interactive Brokers

I can't check without an account number of username. But it looks very much like a reset issue to me. (It's very difficult for a user to know exactly when the systems is resetting - unless their submitting orders every few seconds).

The cancel being acknowledged before the order acknowledgement also indicates the server reset issue - if the order hadn't gone any further than your TWS/first process, then you would be able to cancel it and get an instant acknowledgement. For the order to get an acknowledgement it would need to get to the exchange and back.

I believe your problems will be fully resolved when you change servers - send a ticket to the CS desk asking to change it. We can then switch you over this weekend, and you can report back next week.

(Regarding back ISP's -- it's good to check a ping plotter or tracert as suggested by other users - as there's a good chance your 2 US ISP's are using exactly the same backbone.

#62     Jul 26, 2007
  3. Now wait a minute, didn't you just tell us that you were used to a system reset at 9:25PM, give or take a few minutes. So why do you trade at 21:24:16?

Maybe I missed something?

Ursa..

#63     Jul 26, 2007
  4. JackR

JackR

Have you already established a second account or will you trade the US exchanges via HK?

Jack

#64     Jul 26, 2007
  5. A usefull addition to TWS would be warning of impending reset in the status panel. Something flashing like the bulletin indication . Perhaps two different status - reset pending and reset in progress would be a good idea.

#65     Jul 26, 2007
  6. Kiwi, you gotta chill out dude - go easy on GoF. He might have very legitimate reasons for being rather upset at IB - and this might not be due to his own doing - thats all.

#66     Jul 26, 2007
  7. gangof4

gangof4

as i posted, the server reset came 1/2 hour early last night- so i knew the reset was behind me (server reset is VERY obvious- you know when it's happening). as i also said, the connection was fine (no pink, wasn't trying to log in, no interruption of data, etc etc).

#67     Jul 26, 2007
  8. gangof4

gangof4

yeah, imagine if i'd been in 10 contract and NOT been able to finally get out b4 the break last night- quite the gap down. of course, i traded the afternoon session with my head in my ass; proving, yet again, that poor trading is just as dangerous and an unreliable connection to ones broker!

#68     Jul 26, 2007
  9. gangof4

gangof4

no, one is ethernet straight to my computer (no router), other is wireless to the DSL connection.

#69     Jul 26, 2007
  10. JackR

JackR

There might actually be more than one reset - one for the quote servers and one for the account servers. I run a program that ties to TWS and I typically get a number of different error messages.

One set is something like:
    "Market data farm connection is broken:usfarm",
    "Market data farm connection is broken:usfuture",
    "Market data farm connection is broken:cashfarm".

The other is "Connectivity between IB and TWS has been lost".

The second is the account reset. In my case the resets all typically occur within 20 to 30 mintes of each other shortly after midnight (0000) ET.

I have seen more than one reset occur the same night every once in a while.

What IB has programmed the TWS to do during these reset times is anybody's guess.

Jack

#70     Jul 26, 2007