shocking (NOT) IB down AGAIN @ night. help finding an alternative PLEASE...

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by gangof4, Jul 25, 2007.

1. RedDuke

RedDuke

I spoke with them. They not interested unless you open 1mil+ account.

#41     Jul 25, 2007
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

This is not the major issue. The major issue that CFTC does lot allow US residents to trade KOSPI. I have no clue why that is, KOSPI has ben pending approval since 2002-2003.

I called CFTC and they said that they can not provide any details.

It a shame, cause it looks like the best Asian market to trade due to liquidity and volatility.

Regards,
    redduke

#42     Jul 25, 2007
  3. RedDuke

RedDuke

Also, over the last several months I had no IB disconnect issues. I trade HSI every night (or should I say morning).

#43     Jul 25, 2007
  4. The guy generate $3000+ in commision. I am guessing he is not on a $2000 account. He should be able to afford it.

#44     Jul 25, 2007
  5. ATM007

ATM007 Guest

Gangof4

I am a big fan of IB, but seriously we do need a backup broker in unexpected time, especially when you are trading something like HHI.HK, it's even more volatile than HSI, and much more illogically. you can consider some local HONG KONG brokers, to name a few, f

http://www.poems.com.hk/e_home.htm
    http://www.taifook.com/
    http://www.shkonline.com

I think all above sites have english pages

these are three biggest local brokers in HK, I am not related to any of them, as a matter of fact , in the last two years, I am trading exclusively with IB logging in to their HK server, no need to use my back up accounts so far.

But before you inquire to any of local brokers, I suggest you may consider first open another account in IB, and make IB HK server as the default server of that account. Thus you can trade HK instruments in a different account than your US trading account. You can transfer capital between these two account online, in a matter of say, 1-2 minutes.

#45     Jul 25, 2007
  6. Gang -- I trade SGX and use a dedicated account on the HK server. I can't think of any suitable clearer with IB's product offerings. It's a hassle to carry two accounts, but it's a snap to transfer between IB accounts.

I've had no server-drops while trading SGX.

#46     Jul 25, 2007
  7. ATM007

ATM007 Guest

#47     Jul 25, 2007
  8. TOM134

TOM134

gangof4,

You said:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "...this is like a bad breakup- 'i like a lot of things about you, but this just isn't working out for me and you're killing me...'
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just as in marriage, don't get a divorce (from IB) because your partner isn't perfect.

Steve, from IB has reached out to you and said that he would do additional follow-up work for you regarding your issue.

It is unreasonable to expect instant satisfaction; even babies need to learn this hard lesson of life.

IB is running by far the largest and best trading entity ever available. And it is 'on balance' superbly exceeding its' customers expectations.

IB is offering an unmatched array of products to an international clientele.

Just as IB is complex so is the Internet technology/architecture upon which all of us depend.

With complexity comes the expected 'glitches' - things are at times not going to work the way they were designed to work.

From what I have read from other Elite Traders, when the 'glitches' occur, IB has always been responsive.

The folks at IB, like the rest of us, come to work every day wanting to do a good job. Put yourself in others' shoes. If you feel that something hurts you, it probably hurts the other person too.

Don't get too upset with the Elite Traders who lash out at others who they see as hyper-critical of IB; they are just defending their beloved Broker: IB.

gangof4,

Reconsider the divorce.

IB cares about you; stay with the Broker you know. Forgive and forget.

Tom

gangof4,

Here's a little quote for all of us to ponder when 'things' just aren't going the way we planned:

"....I don't know whether I make myself plain, but I never lose my temper over the stock market. I never argue with the tape. Getting sore at the market doesn't get you anywhere........What beat me was not having brains enough to stick to my own game - that is, to play the market only when I was satisfied that the precedents favored my play. There is a time for everything , but I didn't know it. And that is precisely what beats so many men in Wall Street...."

from: Reminiscences of a Stock Operator; (1923) by Edwin Lefevre

#48     Jul 25, 2007
  9. Aok

Aok

OP

If you are trading HSI, HHI, SGX etc, you need to be on the HK server. Period. There are too many variables to wreck your day during the US reset.

I trade Hsi everyday through IB and dont remember the last time I had connection issue.

If you dont want to go with HK broker for backup I think ManFinancial in US has HKFE access and OEC might or soon will.

Just open a second account with IB. Its a snap to transfer funds between the two.

#49     Jul 25, 2007
  10. Or just use tracert, it comes with Windows. Run it in the command line.

#50     Jul 25, 2007