shocking (NOT) IB down AGAIN @ night. help finding an alternative PLEASE...

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by gangof4, Jul 25, 2007.

1. kiwi you are ignorant with no respect to others, don´t you? It looks like.

#31     Jul 25, 2007

2. outrageous margins req and not less outrageous commish perhaps?

#32     Jul 25, 2007
  3. Ignorant ... no.

Respect for Go4 ... no.

Respect for U ... no.

Respect for others ... absolutely.

But U, like your little buddy, are a wanker. :p

Go4 started this thread with a shock horror title accusing someone of something that was not their fault. He is both ignorant and arrogant in that ... and by my chosen definition, thus, a wanker.

He tries now to rewrite history and get his little buddies involved ... but history is what it is ... and the problem here is his and not IBs. And he will probably not be able to accept that ... and so will go his trading.

The only good thing in the sad story is that he will (yes, finally, one of them will) probably be trading in my favourite market. So, once he gets off paper, I may get the pleasure each morning of thinking ... perhaps I'll get some of Go4's money today. :)

#33     Jul 25, 2007
  4. And 6 pages later, still no reply to the original question. Anybody who is an IB client knows that IB tells you up front to have a back up broker.

Well, who can we use? I for one would feel a lot more comfortable. I have a back up for US markets, but not others.

#34     Jul 25, 2007
  5. JackR

JackR

This a bit off topic but it may help -

I've attached a screenshot of my IP path between the Washington, DC area and IB's Hong Kong Server.

In my next post I'll show my path to the US Server.

The utility I use is called PingPlotter. The version you see is the paid version. They have a freeware version that is equally good for your purposes.

I suggest you get it and run it. If your server connection shows good and you have problems with no quotes, etc, you'll have something to discuss with IB. Conversely, if the IP path shows strange things happening you'll know it is not IB.

In the screenshot below the long path delay appears to be a satellite link. They run on the order of 250 milliseconds.

Jack

#36     Jul 25, 2007
  6. JackR

JackR

US Server. Note the "Packet Loss". This can cause a slower connection time than indicated as the network must request that the packets be resent.

#37     Jul 25, 2007
  7. And as with most of these issues:

1. Note where the packet loss is occurring (not at IB)

2. Note that this is loss of a particular type of packet response from a particular router. It may not generalize in any way to your IB connection.

However, you are correct that if you were losing packets to IB and retransmitting there would be an impact on latency.

#38     Jul 25, 2007
  8. www.calyonfinancial.com

Use them with TT and almost guarantee no disconnection and get the fastest execution that is available.

#39     Jul 25, 2007
  9. mokwit

mokwit

MAN offer those markets, as do the futures divisions of banks e.g Calyon as above.

I and others had disconnection issues in the past due to Asian ISP's discarding packets and TWS then being set up for much higher spec connections. In fairness they [eventually] adjusted the parameters to accomodate lower quality ISP's.

#40     Jul 25, 2007