shocking (NOT) IB down AGAIN @ night. help finding an alternative PLEASE...

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by gangof4, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Two drop outs in 3 years caused by IB. One was because of a hurricane and was pre-announced.

#21     Jul 25, 2007
  2. Jim,

Read his posts. He blames everything on IB. He quotes misinformation about the HK server as fact. He attacks Steve's integrity. Yet another wanker who blames everyone but the people responsible (and by now he might have a clue who that is).

Apology - LOL.

Jim, at times you are a little soft.

#22     Jul 25, 2007
  3. I was originally on the NY server and had a few white knuckle moments with the resets - which sometimes go on longer than a couple of minutes.

IB support said they'd switch me to the HK server over a w/e. Since then I have had no issues to speak of.

You do not want to be trading a platform that you know will go into reset at any moment (within a certain window). Since I only ever trade the first couple of hours of US market, I have not had the same issue the other way.

Looking at IB's site, the HK server resets after 03:59 HK time - so unless I'm mistaken, you're covered for regular US market hours, all of European hours and all of Asian hours.

Switch over to HK.

#23     Jul 25, 2007

4. Correct information. :)

He might be better off having two accounts on two servers rather than having the lag of US>HK>US and the increased risk. Of course, if losing interest on two lots of $10,000 is a big thing to him then he's going to find that suggestion unacceptable. :eek:

#24     Jul 25, 2007
  5. gangof4

gangof4

i think i will give that a try. i guess i was stupid taking the opinion of the ib trader i spoke to as fact. he talked from experience (or so he said) that US traders who switch to the HK server have lots of problems- he also said that the latency issues were worse US-HK-US vs US-US-HK. he rather vehemently advised against changing servers given my US trading.

do you notice any lags in executions when you're trading the US market using the HK server (you said you didn't have downtime issues, but i can't tell whether you're saying your executions are ok also)?

i appreciate your replies.

#25     Jul 25, 2007
  6. None that would affect my trading style. Sure it takes more time (a second or two at most).

Frankly I'm still amazed that I can sit (almost) anywhere in the world and trade index futures round the clock. It's really cool when you stop to think about it. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

#26     Jul 25, 2007
  7. gangof4

gangof4

well, hero, this will be my last wasted effort directed @ you.

first, do you know any really really wealthy people? every one i know is loathe to throw money away (i had business dealings with a billionaire and he was exactly the same. we got off his private jet, walked to the waiting car and he bent over to pick up a fucking nickel he saw on teh ground. this is a true story, i could give a fuck if you believe me). point being, there is a long thread on ET about the $10m with no interest @ IB with some pretty successful traders chiming in- it's about the principal you dolt, not measuring your dick by showing how $1m/yr isn't shit to a stud like you.

second- i made clear to the IB guy that i wasn't talking about him personally.

third, i've received 3 PM's about this- all 3 have cited similar problems. all with a 'your wasting your time saying anything bad about IB on Et' verbiage- as everyone who has anything negative to say about IB has the IB defenders attack. geesh, what, did IB cut you in on some shares in the friends and family round? the way people defend IB around here, you'd think so.

forth- from your comments, it sure seems like you're on the HK server. so how the fuck does your experience with the HK server issues give you any knowledge as to whether the US server, which i stated i am on, were down? might want to look up that definition of wanker again, sport.

finally, my info about going to the HK server, as i said, came from an IB trader when i called in about issues. my bad info came from ib.

i realize you're a big shot and that even if an IB server issue cost you $50m you wouldn't bat an eye, but us peons know trading is hard enough without having to worry about whether you're broker is having a bad server day. asking for/demanding redundancy from your broker isn't out of line. any trader who pisses on a thread that addresses this issue cannot be too serious, because, if said trader were, he'd relate and demand the same thing- not make excuses for the broker and play some 12 year old game of name calling the OP.

now, piss off.

#27     Jul 25, 2007
  8. gangof4

gangof4

agreed. i'm an old timer and what we can do from home far eclipses what i could have dreamed of doing at work when i started with mother merrill in the 80's.

i really enjoy trading the HK markets- i love the volatility (really wish i could trader Korea- hopefully someday here in the US). that's why i started the thread. i don't want to stop trading them (no way), but i need a better solution or i will never feel comfortable ramping up the size. i'll try the HK server and probably use one of my other brokers to trade the US futures. i did this before, but, again, i had an eye towards when the acct. size is larger and i wanted all the futures trading in one acct- doesn't look like that's going to happen unless someone chimes in with an IB alternative...

thanks again.

#28     Jul 25, 2007
  9. LMAO ... you still don't get it. You probably never will. It will always be everyone else's fault ... you'll always be piss"ed" off.

You are, as explained before, a wanker. :D :p :D

#29     Jul 25, 2007
  10. notouch

notouch

What's stopping you trade KOSPI futures?

#30     Jul 25, 2007