shift in the nature of posts

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by traderkay, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. well i just wanted to say there was a definite shift in the nature of posts during the period i've been a member. the posts shifted from "how can i trade?" to "which vendor is good?" i can't say the posts about vendor services are bad, some of them are informative and people are interested in reading them. but there's definitely been a shift, in my opinion, at the expense of discussing the actual trading techniques. Is that bad? Well I don't know, maybe, I'm just sharing my observation. The shift started when the members of the vendor community have started posting actively on the board. It avalanched from there..

2. newbie

I was being accused of working for PTS when I posted some of the money management articles on the site and asked for opinions on that money management method. It seems like if you even MENTION another website that might have valuable information- you are accused of working for them.

3. I agree with Traderkay. It is a disappointing evolution and a real shame. Something valuable is being degraded: a sense of community. Gradually, it feels more and more like a shopping mall. This is my first and last post here; I hope the powers that be take note that many old timers feel the same way as this newtimer. The only solution can be more effective moderation in order to siphon out what another Elitetrader participant somewhat sardonically (but, nevertheless, justifiably) labeled as 'snake-oil'.

4. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I hope that I have not contributed to the "decline" of ET, though I'm sure that some people feel I have.

My personnel opinion as to why there are more posts about "Who is the best vendor" is that the reasons are two fold. First, there are probably a number of them coming on here because its a free forum (costs you no money to get people) and they can get as many user names as they like. The board is active and any post is sure to get attention. If you ask about a site, a number of people attack you..keeping the board more active and up near the top of the list more often. Next is that I think there are many people who made money in say 98/99 and early 2000 using a mojo approach that does not work very well anymore. They thought they had "figured it out" and now see they did not. These people want to keep trading, but realize that what they are doing now is not working. So, they are asking and hoping some one has something close to the holy grail. This kind of posting will probably increase when we see a real market, because "no one" will be making money. The market always cycles, so that is just a matter of time before we do experience a real bear.

5. Commisso

Commisso Guest

Brandon,

So the close to 75% decline in the nasdaq over the last 2 years wasn't the "real" bear???

PEACE and good trading,
    Commisso

6. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

<i>So the close to 75% decline in the nasdaq over the last 2 years wasn't the "real" bear??? </i>

No. A real bear market is defined by a lack of volume, volatility and liquidity. It lasts a few years. We have not seen one yet.

7. Commisso

Commisso Guest

hmmm,

Interesting....So you feel like a "real" bear is lurking somewhere around the corner???

PEACE and good trading,
    Commisso

8. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I dunno, my crystal ball got broken and the crazy glue I put it together with fogged it up. What I do know though is that things in the market cycle and revert to the mean.

9. Commisso

Commisso Guest

Brandon,

So when was the last time the market experienced a "real" bear as you described it???

PEACE and good trading,
    Commisso

btw, are you the brandon from intraday investments???

10. All I hope for is that this bear is here to stay. Whether it is the lack of volatility or volume I don't care I just hope it's remains this way for next 30 years.

The Shortee

#10     Jan 28, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.