Sharpe Ratio

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tula, Jan 25, 2004.

1. tula

tula

Are the following number enough information to calculate the Sharpe Ratio of a small Fund (small = $1000,000.)? And if yes can any one explain how it's done?

thanks,

2. tula

tula

File

3. Hmmmm, If I were you I would start with the equation of the sharpe ratio, and as you know, the equation contains a component of volatility also known as standard deviation. So I would say your file does not contain enough info to calculate a meaningful SR.

4. Sharpe Ratio of Trades

The Sharpe Ratio is a way to measure the risk-adjusted return of an investment. Its ratio measures how much of an investment's return can be attributed to chance. A Sharpe Ratio value of above 1.0 is considered good, while a value above 2.0 is typically considered outstanding.

The Sharpe Ratio of trades is calculated by obtaining the average percentage return of the trades generated by the system, as well as the standard deviation of returns. The average return and average standard deviation are annualized by using the average number of days held per trade as a baseline. The final result is found by dividing the annualized average return by the annualized standard deviation of returns.

5. tula

tula

So to answer my question with the number i stated i don't have enough info to calculate the Sharpe Ratio.

Thanks,

Tula

6. tula

tula

Since i have been investing the money without much concern to all these statistical numbers and all i have kept is the yearly returns, which is what my familly & friends really cared about the bottom line.

thanks,

Tula

7. whowah

whowah

Here is a spreadsheet I use with all the calculations for the sharpe ratio. You need 12 months of data to get started. Just plug in your own numbers. These are the numbers from my hypothetical fund at marketocracy. Just plug in your own numbers.

a web site to get risk free return rates is

http://able.harvard.edu/rates/ca004q/index.shtml

8. tula

tula

whowah,

Verry helpfull.

thanks a lot.

Tula

9. You do have enough data to calculate a Sharpe Ratio (all you need is two values). Using more data improves its significance. You should be sure to only use comparable data, though. It appears that you may have experienced some style shift or a change in leverage used after the first two years or so. If that is the case, you should exclude those years from your calculations.

Sharpe Ratio is defined as follows:

SharpeRatio=(Average Period Return - Periodic Riskless Rate of Return)/(Standard Deviation of Period Returns)

You can use any period you wish, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc. Because there is no standard value used for the Riskless Rate of Return (and most large futures accounts deposit bonds instead of cash), most people simply set it equal to zero. Note that the Sharpe Ratio with a zero riskless return is called the Information Ratio.

You should also be aware that the Sharpe Ratio has many weaknesses. For example, it misrepresents the risk associated with certain investment styles and can be manipulated by using derivatives.

jj

10. ramuk

ramuk

#10     Jan 25, 2004