Sharpe Ratio questions

Discussion in 'Trading' started by HFStartup, Oct 3, 2011.

1. I thought the same thing before beginning my analysis. What the results indicated to me, however, was that due to what I believe is the difference in the magnitude of compounding upon the timing of the cashflows, drawdown and return did not increase/decrease equally. For example, at current leverage (no leverage to speak of) the max drawdown is 3.870% and the average monthly return is .327%. If these amounts are doubled, they would be a drawdown of 7.739% and a return of .655%. However, when I double the daily gains and losses as they occur and make the calculations based on these values, I get a drawdown of 7.796% but the return increases to .742%. The delta in the dwawdowns is less, in comparison to the delta between returns, proving favorable (.0009 for return, .0006 for drawdown). Small, but still favorable.

#21     Oct 6, 2011
  2. Oh okay. Good to know - in institutional FI/Equity space, GIPS compliance is a pretty big deal since investors are less sophisticated than you might imagine, so everyone wants GIPS compliance these days.

#22     Oct 6, 2011
  3. First, see my reply to the other fella - I know quite a bit of being GIPS compliant.

Second, I think this is all kind of funny because I didn't expect GIPS compliance rules to be brought into a conversation on ET.

Anyway, I don't really mean that you are a douche, but a douche (in the nice, funny way) for bringing real world stuff into an ET discussion.

#23     Oct 6, 2011
  4. Indeed... Most strategies would define a "hurdle rate" (most of the time it's USD LIBOR), but in reality even that's a totally arbitrary choice. Even in theory there's no such thing as a risk-free rate, really. There's a funding rate, which might be different for each individual investor, but people for simplicity assume that everyone funds at a single universal rate (these days it's FedFunds, in my experience).

#24     Oct 6, 2011
  5. heech

heech

Indeed! This conversation is making me wonder whether I should hire a third party GIPS service provider to look at my numbers for me. I'm far too lazy to calculate another set of formal numbers.

It shouldn't be difficult. I really just have one set of master fund accounts since launch, and one set of prop trading accounts shortly before then.

#25     Oct 6, 2011
  6. It's not even the calculations themselves that are annoying - GIPS compliance is not necessarily too chatty about that - but the disclosure rules are pretty intricate.

Disclaimer: I'm not a certified GIPSs drone - I just know a few things about it since I've been told enough times by such drones that no, I can't put that in the books because it's not GIPS compliant.

#26     Oct 7, 2011
  7. ASE1245

ASE1245

I agree with everyone here. The current risk free rate is near zero, not 2%. If you're trading equities and options and consistently receiving near zero return, it appears that you need to assume some risk to increase your returns. You need to try new strategies.

#27     Oct 7, 2011