Sharing internet connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syd697, Oct 4, 2002.

1. KB96

KB96

You can use the hub, but you need to have 2 network cards in one of the pc's to act as a server. The ethernet cable from the modem to the first pc thats acting as the sever, and then to the hub. From there the other computers can be connected to the hub and configured using the networking program.

Or, if your just connecting 2 computers to the internet, you could use a USB connecting cable to hook the 2 together. and access the internet thought the first pc and then link it to the second. Hope this helps.

#11     Oct 4, 2002
  2. KB96,
    Could you name some softwares that allow networking via USB (1.1?) port ?
    My computer cannot recognize my old notebook with a PCMCIA network card . I think the main problem is Window 98SE is setup to look thru' the first NIC which goes out to the cable modem, and the notebook is hooked up to the 2nd NIC...
    I am thinking of trying to hook up the notebook via USB.
    Thks :)

Cheers!!! :cool:

#12     Oct 4, 2002
  3. when i first got started with this stuff, i used a hub and put 2 network cards in 1 pc. then i switched from that method to using the linksys router. THE LINKSYS ROUTER IS DEFINITELY THE WAY TO GO, IMO.

#13     Oct 4, 2002
  4. swing

swing

It's possible with a router. I am sharing the connection with 5 computers.

#14     Oct 4, 2002
  5. KB96

KB96

#15     Oct 4, 2002
  6. syd697

syd697

Thanks for the advice guys.

I do have another problem though. I have one pc with win98SE and my other pc is win95. I've been told that you can't share an internet connection in any form if you're using win95. You must have at least win98SE to share an internet connection. So my next question is, what should I do with my win95 pc? Install win98SE or above on it? Get a whole new pc? Use winproxy software if that helps? I'll take any advice. Thanks.

#16     Oct 5, 2002
  7. If your computers can handle it, install Windows XP, it's much more stable then 95 or 98. The computers will run much better.

#17     Oct 6, 2002
  8. Cynical

Cynical

You could use the hub you have now if your ISP will lease you a second IP address. They will probably want to charge you for that IP address though. However, if you get the Linksys router I linked below you will actually be able to use the 1 IP address already provided from your ISP. Your router will be the only device actually getting an IP address from you ISP. You will then lease as many IP addresses as you would ever need from the router. As a bonus it will also provide a layer of security for you. This would be my suggestion...

http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/re...l?fl=0&tag=st.sh.11643-311-1516994.sort.price

#18     Oct 6, 2002
  9. telozo

telozo

I have a DSL connection and I share it between my two computers. The computer that connects to the DSL gateway runs Windows XP Professional and the other one runs Windows ME (but it can be Windows 98 as well). I use Windows XP's Internet Connection Sharing and is working without a problem.

#19     Oct 6, 2002
  10. Anyone knows if I could have Zone Alarm (freeware version) installed behind the Lynksys router (or other routers). I wonder if there are any conflicts between ZA and the hardware firewall in the router.

TIA

Cheers!! :)

#20     Oct 6, 2002