Sharing internet connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syd697, Oct 4, 2002.

1. syd697

syd697

Hi all,

I'm trying to share my 1 cable internet connection with 2 separate side by side pc's. I've got a netgear 4-port hub and was told that I could share the 1 internet connection by using a hub. Well, it doesn't seem to work. I can get 1 pc connected to the internet but the other pc doesn't connect. I called tech support and they told me i need a router instead of a hub to connect more than 1 pc to the internet. Actually, I could use the hub only if I have 2 separate IP addresses. But I believe that requires me to have 2 ISP subscriptions.

Has anyone used a hub to share a single internet connection? Or do I really need a router to do this? Any help is appreciated.

2. You definitely need a router. Check out the Linksys 4 port hub-router, or since you already have a hub, the cable/dsl router, www.linksys.com

While you could use a IP sharing program, such as the one built into W2k, the router is simpler and cleaner.

3. yeah, i've had a linksys router for years and it works great.

4. syd697

syd697

ok guys,

what linksys router do you use? There seems to be so many different varieties? Does it matter if I just pick the cheapest plain old router? Thanks.

5. If you connect 2 computers to a hub, both will ask for an IP address, and you will be billed for 2 IP at the end of the month. :mad:

Win 98SE (and subsequent OS) could share the internet connection with the 'Internet Sharing' option. It will give the second computer a sub IP. The problem is that the first computer is used as server, and it has to be turned on.
    I am not sure, but I think the second computer has to be connected to the first, and not via a hub.

Cheers !! :)

6. Here is the link to the linksys router that I have. It allows you to connect up to four pc's using hard wire, and you can also connect computers via a wireless card. I love this thing.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005ARK3/102-0210445-9634543

7. Linksys is the brand name of a router. I supposed the best router is CISCO, but it's a bit overkill for individual. Do a search on Google for 'router + reviews', and you'll find the 'best' router available for retails.
    One of the advantage of having a good router is that it has a hardware firewall, which will make you 'invisible' to the internet.
    I am waiting for the Christmas sale to get a Linksys router, cheap and good reviews. Maybe someone could give some input on this.

Cheers !!! :)

8. u130747

u130747

I usea netgear MR 314 router/wireless. And I have a pcmia Netgear MA401 card. Both computers are hooked up to one Cable internet connection.

If you want to research go to amazon.com and type

MR 314

and

MA401

and search. You will find what I have hooked up.

Bert:D :D :D

9. Minime

Minime

You can use a proxy server which takes one IP and allows 2-1000's of users share it. My favorite is Winproxy from http://www.winproxy.com/ It has virus protection and a firewall as well.
    :D

#10     Oct 4, 2002