Sharing cable modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by just21, Nov 22, 2002.

1. just21

I have an Ambit 351000 usb cable modem that I wish to share with my laptop that is connected by ethernet. I used to use internet connection sharing, to share my isdn card. I can connect the cable modem to my pc using ethernet but amusing usb at present. Any ideas?

thanks for any help
  2. Either use a hub or router using ethernet at each machine. A simple hub requires a seperate IP address for each machine that's in simultaneous use. Most cable co's charge 5-7 bucks each; a router 'shares' the single IP address across multiple computers, but can be tricky sometimes to get them working.
  3. Swish

I use a Linksys BEFSR41 Switch/Router and it's always been a snap to hook up multiple computers to my cable modem (without the need to network them). A friend was in my office the other day with his laptop and we hooked him up - no problems.

The other thing nice about the BEFSR is that it provides additional hardware firewall protection in addition to the NAV firewall I use.
  4. Swish, is the router just as fast as using a hub? No switching delays?

I like the idea of not juggling IP addresses from the cable co.
  5. Swish

I haven't noticed any delays, but to be honest I haven't done a thorough analysis of it. I'm no expert on this stuff, but I think it is the switching IP addresses that partially or fully provides the firewall support.
  6. BCE

We had a Linksys 4-Port Cable/DSL Router for 2 years sharing a cable modem between two computers in different rooms and it worked great. You can read the reviews at Amazon and read about it more here
    Plus there's a link to the other Linksys routers there. The wireless one had weaker reviews but I haven't looked lately. Maybe they've improved it.
    When we bought it, it cost $199 down from $249. Times change. Now it's $59. Ha.
    Unfortunately, where I'm at now I'm limited to a dialup connection. Good luck. :)
  7. I have a SMC 7004BR 4 port router. It's been running for about 2 years with no significant issues.

Check out the forums at in the hardware forums if you have any questions.

The link will take you to the main page listed by manufacturer.