Sharing cable modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by just21, Nov 22, 2002.

1. just21

just21

I have an Ambit 351000 usb cable modem that I wish to share with my laptop that is connected by ethernet. I used to use internet connection sharing, to share my isdn card. I can connect the cable modem to my pc using ethernet but amusing usb at present. Any ideas?

thanks for any help

2. Either use a hub or router using ethernet at each machine. A simple hub requires a seperate IP address for each machine that's in simultaneous use. Most cable co's charge 5-7 bucks each; a router 'shares' the single IP address across multiple computers, but can be tricky sometimes to get them working.

3. Swish

Swish

I use a Linksys BEFSR41 Switch/Router and it's always been a snap to hook up multiple computers to my cable modem (without the need to network them). A friend was in my office the other day with his laptop and we hooked him up - no problems.

The other thing nice about the BEFSR is that it provides additional hardware firewall protection in addition to the NAV firewall I use.

4. Swish, is the router just as fast as using a hub? No switching delays?

I like the idea of not juggling IP addresses from the cable co.

5. Swish

Swish

I haven't noticed any delays, but to be honest I haven't done a thorough analysis of it. I'm no expert on this stuff, but I think it is the switching IP addresses that partially or fully provides the firewall support.

6. BCE

BCE

We had a Linksys 4-Port Cable/DSL Router for 2 years sharing a cable modem between two computers in different rooms and it worked great. You can read the reviews at Amazon and read about it more here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...50858-9438238?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846
    Plus there's a link to the other Linksys routers there. The wireless one had weaker reviews but I haven't looked lately. Maybe they've improved it.
    When we bought it, it cost $199 down from $249. Times change. Now it's $59. Ha.
    Unfortunately, where I'm at now I'm limited to a dialup connection. Good luck. :)

7. I have a SMC 7004BR 4 port router. It's been running for about 2 years with no significant issues.

Check out the forums at DSLReports.com in the hardware forums if you have any questions.

http://www.dslreports.com/forums/18

The link will take you to the main page listed by manufacturer.

Later,

Cracked