Sharing cable modem with one IP address

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by just21, Jan 8, 2003.

1. #21     Jan 10, 2003
  2. i use D-Link DI-704. no probs.

#22     Jan 10, 2003
  3. You'd think they'd learn by now. What makes this so wasteful is that he blew a March, 2002 alias and not some 3-hour-old job. In the intelligence community, this would be the equivalent of having one of your well-placed informers exposed.

#23     Jan 10, 2003
  4. Actually one can statically (or even dynamically) redirect incoming connections to computers in the internal network (at least with the Linksys router)

#24     Jan 12, 2003
  5. I noticed something in this post that cought my attention. Is it possible for cable service to be set up through a VPN? I have come across this challenge with several of my customers and was told that you need a static IP versus the dynamic which is what comes cable service. If anytone has a solution that is proven could they please inform me of the proper steps I will need to take? Thanks..

Comp

[UOTE]Quote from opm8:

If you have a Fry's in your area, go pick up an SMC7004VWBR wireless router. http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=258&site=c

It will support 4 computers directly connected to it and as many wireless-connected ones as you want (in reality, it's not 4 computers it's 4 separate LANs but this may be more complex of an explanation than you're looking for).

The price is unbelievable for a 4-port wireless router with built-in firewalling (NAT, virtual servers, VPN pass through, etc) : $89.99 shelf price minus $50 rebate = $39.99. I'm very happy with mine.

--opm8
    [/QUOTE]

#25     Jan 15, 2003
  6. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

v. happy w/linksys router here, had tried a netgear one but couldn't config it... after some work, got the linksys working fine, + a wireless card for the laptop, have 4 pcs running off of it..

re cable, yes good to get a commercial roadrunner acct, for static IP address..

question: seems like my networked pcs (the ones w/dynamic IP addresses via network/config, vs the primary one, with the static IP config for the router), access 'net data a bit slower, eg 20% slower, than the main pc .. any ideas on why that is?

eg I have the main pc set up with the static ip, then all the other networked ones set up w/dynamic ips (since can't do statics on all networked ones)..

thx,

ken

#26     Jan 15, 2003
  7. I have was just checking to see if it was possible. I found that there are very few areas that provide the static version.

thanks...comp

#27     Jan 15, 2003