Sharing cable modem with one IP address

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by just21, Jan 8, 2003.

1. #11     Jan 9, 2003
  2. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

I am using the Lynksys 4 port as well. I never could get the standard ICS to work using nic cards with Win2k or WinXP. The router works great. My only problem is that my connection goes down for a couple of seconds several times a day ever since I added the router. I don't know what causes it, but it has disconnected my trading software several times...a real pain. I'm using a cable modem with it. Anyone else had this problem?

#12     Jan 9, 2003
  3. opm8

opm8

I take back everything I said about this router. It's a total POS and it's going right back to Fry's. You get what you pay for.

--opm8

#13     Jan 10, 2003
  4. just21

just21

So linksys don't work wit IB tws and smc is rubbish. What does that leave?

#14     Jan 10, 2003
  5. rs7

rs7

NO!....no, no, no; this is not what it appears.

Here is what he REALLY meant. He was referring to the "trailer" for the major motion picture coming this summer to a theatre near you. "The Life and Times of Aphie (or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Turn 5k into a Million)"

I have seen the trailer. Lots of action. Car chases, explosions, the works. In a quick cut scene in the trailer, they show him with his router and his go-fers getting screamed at by Aphie to "buy!!! sell!!! buy!!!!"

I may be mistaken, hard to tell, 'cause of the quick cuts, but the cast looks dynamite. Aphie plays himself, of course, because it is impossible to cast a living legend with an actor. But Fasterpussycat seems to have landed a heavy role as Aphie's agent in his modeling career, which is obviously where the funding came from to start his huge trading enterprise. The sneak preview was written up in this weeks Variety. Word is that FPC will get the nod for best supporting actor, and MrSubliminal is a shoe in for his adaptation of the non-fiction work originally titled "11" (but needed a change because of the confusion anticipated due to the Bo Derek "10").

Thunderbolt has a bit part doing an inspirational talk for Aphies trading team. Word is he did a fine job. Traderfut2000 is, I believe, the executive producer due to his ability to assure a worldwide audience.

Hope this clears up any misconceptions.

Peace,
    :)Rs7

Go JETS!!!

#15     Jan 10, 2003
  6. taodr

taodr

I have been using a linksys 4 port router for a few weeks now. Cable internet. At first there was the usual aggravation figuring it out. Once it's working don't disconnect the power supply else you will have to reset ip configuration. I did it as follows; type in CMD in run, when black box appears type ipconfig hit enter , a few different lines will appear then type ipconfig /release then hit enter and it will reset(that's a space between g and /) I have no problems. Definitely I could NOT use a linksys NIC card with TWS. Using a D-Link which is very good.

#16     Jan 10, 2003
  7. trendy

trendy

If you are already networked, try the home office product from Sygate. You can download their software for free as a trial. 3 user licensing fee is $39.95;
    6 user is $69.95
    http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php I use their software to run 5 computers on internet simultaneously. Extremely easy to install if you have a static IP address, (my case)

#17     Jan 10, 2003
  8. svsv

svsv

Just download a copy of Red Hat 8.0 and install it on a cheap PC that you like to throw it away anyhow and plug in a linksys 4 port or 8 port hub -- you have a local network with firewall and shared access to internet ...

#18     Jan 10, 2003
  9. My linksys NAT router also allows me to configure port forwarding
    to a single PC on the lan.

Therefore, it actually CAN recieve unsolicited inbound
    connections. (I have run a webserver and FTP server
    just fine, for example)
    You just have to decide which PC will "own" which ports.

PS. My linksys works great with TWS.

peace

axeman

#19     Jan 10, 2003
  10. Hehehehehehe.

nitro :D

#20     Jan 10, 2003