Share your life's best lessons

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iprph90, Sep 8, 2011.

1. iprph90

iprph90

The most consistent facial expressions of a group are found at funerals.

Attend funerals, not only to pay your last respects, but also to remind yourself why you are alive.

Remember death, but don't dwell on it.

Nothing is certain but death and taxes.......and credit card theft.

#61     Sep 17, 2011
  2. volente_00

volente_00

I believe in a creator because there are just to many things that science can't explain. Call it GOD, allah, santa clause, flying spaghetti monster, whatever but to place blind faith that everything in existence came from nothing is just ludicrous. The big bang theory is based on assumptions. How is placing your faith on these assumptions any different than those who place their faith on religious assumptions ?

#62     Sep 18, 2011
  3. There is no difference, but your band-handed argument is that your "God" makes "more sense" than the big-bang theory. The "God" thing turns into a circular argument, as does the big-bang. This is due to the human brain where everything *MUST* have a beginning and an end.

Ever consider the possibility that the Earth, the universe, etc, has always been here?

Just because science cannot yet explain how things happened does not mean there is not a scientific explanation for it. Even in the last 100 years, there are new scientific discoveries that people 100 years prior to the discovery did not know or understand.

#63     Sep 19, 2011
  4. volente_00

volente_00

You are putting words in my mouth.

I said I believe in a creator, not I believe that only my opinion of what created all this is the only way it can be.

"Just because science cannot yet explain how things happened does not mean there is not a scientific explanation for it. Even in the last 100 years, there are new scientific discoveries that people 100 years prior to the discovery did not know or understand"

And that right there is why the logical choice is agnostic

#64     Sep 19, 2011
  5. achilles28

achilles28

I'd like to believe that, but all major religions center around the preparation for death and judgment. Drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die? Or repent, for today is the day of salvation? Depends how far one takes it, but their is a larger truth beyond our minuscule realities, whether we choose to recognize that or not.

#65     Sep 20, 2011
  6. I'm "atheist" in the way that "God" as written by MAN in the Jewish, Islamic and Christian religions simply does not exist. I attach myself more to a spiritual existence like Paganism. (Not Wicca/Astra/New Age). The simple belief that humans exist in the perpetual system called Nature, and that Nature will dictate what happens next. I am spiritual, but that is a far cry from being religious.

#66     Sep 20, 2011
  7. iprph90

iprph90

You know, I remember a time when people respected you for your convictions or beliefs, even if they did not share them.

I am somehow befuddled and disturbed by the recent development of a stealth trend in which taking a stance on something one feels deeply about quickly gets dismissed as being "out of style" or ostensibly insignificant.

So, I encourage myself and others to think and reflect on various doctrines or conclusions. Be willing to understand positions in context of experiences or background without passing judgement.

Those who live life seeped with arrogance only stunt their own intellectual growth.

#67     Sep 21, 2011
  8. how can you respect a man who says, even though every piece of scientific evidence shows it false, "an invisible man in the sky made everything on earth and i am going to force the schools to teach children what i beleive".
    it is religions conviction to force everyone else to believe or abide by their chosen brand of superstition that causes enlightened people to challenge them.

#68     Sep 22, 2011
  9. When dealing with women:

- pay attention to what they do, not what they say

This applies to dealings with men, too. But it's usually brought up in a meeting women/dating/relationship context.

#69     Oct 15, 2011