Share a keyboard and mouse without sharing the monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by isaac000, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Thanks for the replies guys. GTS my firewall was on, even though I didn't select it. Still it isn't working, but I will take a look at the client names.

#31     Mar 11, 2007
  2. Well this Belkin POS is going back. Luckily I am just on the sim today, learning a new method, but 4 seconds to switch CPU's! Heck I miss trades!

#32     Mar 12, 2007
  3. The Trendnet (TK207) arrived and I hooked it up with two computers. I only share keyboard and mouse. I have monitors directly connected to the computers.

The switching is very slow! Everytime when I switch, windows found new hardware(usb mouse and keyboard) and I hear the new USB device sound from the speakers. It takes about 5 seconds, sometimes even longer, to see the mouse start to react. I don't think I can use it. :(

#33     Mar 20, 2007
  4. Schaefer

Schaefer

Hi, Isaac000, that doesn't sound right. My TK207 only takes about half a second, to one second the most to swith over.

Are you saying that, both of your computers are saying, "new hardware found", everytime you do a switch over? Do you have the correct mouse, and keyboard drivers installed on both computers? It sounds more like the computers need to be configured properly, than KVM problem.

Well, at least, it wouldn't hurt to return the TK207, and try a different KVM. That way, you could isolate the problem for sure.

Schaefer

#34     Mar 20, 2007
  5. I had the same problem with 2 port Belkin KVM switch, same delay same symptoms.

#35     Mar 20, 2007
  6. Would you care to expand on that, since I am having the same problem? Older Dell has PS2 and new Dell has USB for keyboard and mouse. So how can I get drivers for that? :confused: I used the Belkin switching sofware and it took about 5 seconds and did the whole found new device crap.:mad:

Thank god I was just simming, I would have missed a trade trying to get to the DOM on newer Dell.

#36     Mar 20, 2007
  7. GTS

GTS

I have never seen that behavior (OS saying it found new hardware every time you switch back and forth) - the switch should be spoofing the OS into believing a keyboard & mouse is attached at all times - it sounds like this is acting like a physical switch where the unused machine thinks the keyboard and mouse has been disconnected...bizarre

#37     Mar 20, 2007
  8. GTS, so remind me, which one do you recommend that works with a wheel mouse and is fast, please?

I couldn't get Synergy to work, but maybe I just configured it wrong?

Right now I have 2 keyboards and mouses, not practical. :(

#38     Mar 20, 2007
  9. GTS

GTS

10. #40     Mar 20, 2007