Share a keyboard and mouse without sharing the monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by isaac000, Mar 8, 2007.

1. GTS

GTS

The ones I've used have a hotkey, the linksys unit works by pressing the control-key twice to switch back and forth between the two. There is a physical switch on the unit to switch but its tucked into my desk so I never use that.

#21     Mar 9, 2007
  2. slacker

slacker

I have linksys kvm but now using synergy and like it a lot.

With the kvm you have to hit a key to switch, with synergy you only have to move the mouse to the screen to switch control.

Also, the kvm did not pass thru the scroll wheel on the mouse I was using. I have had no compatibility issues with synergy.

I suggest downloading and trying synergy, since it is free, and if it doesn't satisfy, then go for the kvm switch.

Another suggestion since you are playing around with synergy, kvm and multiple monitors; look at www.dexpot.de. dexpot is a Windows utility that allows you to create multiple virtual desktops (up to 20 depending on RAM) like a unix workstation. It is free and works very well.

Good luck!

#22     Mar 10, 2007
  3. I appreciate your post. The scroll wheel is critical it is SLM button for Ninja Trader. Can a non tech genius, like me, use synergy. Is it stable? Has it crashed on you before?

#23     Mar 10, 2007
  4. GTS

GTS

#24     Mar 10, 2007
  5. #25     Mar 10, 2007
  6. Yes it's stable. I don't recall any crashes. Easy to install, easy to use. It's free, why not try it first before going to a hardware solution?

Don't know what I'd do without it.

#26     Mar 10, 2007
  7. I just spent the last hour trying to get Synergy to work. I can't get the client to connect to the server. I tried changing some port settings on my router, like was suggested in troubleshooting, I don't have alot of exp. with such things, and my internet wouldn't come up!:eek: I reset to previous setting and I now have internet. I guess I am not the tech genius you guys are?:(

#27     Mar 10, 2007
  8. Correction on the Belkin KVM, the delay is more like 4 seconds. That is too long to switch IMO. I just want something that switches fast and my scroll mouse will work with it. If it's a $100 I will bite the bullet. Maybe I will give Synergy 1 more go, I am probably overlooking something simple, I don't know. :confused:

Let me ask you guys a noob networking question, and yes I did look it on google.

If I have my computer on a 4 port router then by default they are all on the same network yes? Because they are on the same subnet mask correct?

I don't need to jack around with windows XP network, which I did, I just enabled file and printer sharing. I can't remember if this is a security breach or not. Maybe one of you nice guys with a background in computers can clear this up. TIA :)

#28     Mar 10, 2007
  9. GTS

GTS

I don't notice any delay but please keep in mind that I'm using mine to switch the video too and the LCD monitor takes a second or two to auto-sync but as soon as the display comes up the keyboard and mouse are fully functionally (no delay) I just ran an unscientific test to see if I could start typing before the screen finished switching (by holding down a key) and based on that I'd say the keyboard switched faster then the video display.

Yes, based on what you described, they are on the same network.

I dont know why you would need to mess around with your router settings to get that software to work - the router never gets involved with computers that are attached the switch portion of the router - because as you said they are on the same network - no need to route between them.

Are you using XP's built-in firewall on your machines and if so did you allow the port that Synergy requires through the firewall? (looks like the default port is tcp 24800)

#29     Mar 10, 2007
  10. Hmmm.... don't know what to tell you. It worked smoothly right from the start for me.

If your client isn't recognizing the server the most obvious thing is to doublecheck that the names you specified as the client and server match the real names you gave your PC's. They might even be case sensitive.

Sorry it wasn't easier.

#30     Mar 11, 2007