Shanghai expansion going insane

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by alientrader, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Well, Shanghai already has 2X the number of skyscrapers that NYC does...

#11     Feb 27, 2008
  2. Manhatten is 22.7 square miles. Shanghai is 2239

#12     Feb 27, 2008
  3. Ohh noo...i think they counted downtown Shanghai vs nyc....

#13     Feb 27, 2008
  4. I see. How big is what they consider downtown?

#14     Feb 27, 2008
  5. Hmm not sure.....can't be much bigger than manhattan i reckon....I visited last year, its quite a modern city, with the maglev train, speeding you from the airport to city centre just remembered tons of buildings. I wouldnt like to live there though, just too many people and too busy for my liking.

#15     Feb 27, 2008
  6. Shanghai is the world's 8th largest City.
    The "metro" population is around 18.6 million people as of 2006, within 2,717 square miles.

Add in another 13.4 million for "urban" population over another 2,000 square miles.

Compare that to the "metro" area of NYC which obviously contains all of the "burroughs" at 18.8 million spread out over 6,720 square miles.

Thus, you've got essentially the SAME amount of people in Shanghai as in the NYC metro area, except Shanghai has all of those people in ONLY 40% of the space!

Unreal.

#16     Feb 27, 2008
  7. - No doubt there will be a negative impact, but china now is not any way close to as dependent as when it first took off in the early 90s. A normal recession in the US for example, wont have as a big impact to china as you expect.

- That sounds right in theory, but china's totalitarian govt has proved time and time again it has absoute power controlling where the markets are going - real estate, stock, etc.. It's actually much eaiser in china to invest, just follow the government, never go against it...when they started raising taxes in real estate and reducing or almost eliminating profit gain taxes in stock it was a clear sign to make the switch on your investments.

chinese government values control and stability above all else, if market crashes, that means unstability, it's something they would do everything to prevent.

Not that i want a crash, but very curious to see how it plays out if it does happen in an economy completely controlled by the govt, with everyone and their grandmother (literally) have money invested in the market.

#17     Mar 1, 2008
  8. thrunner

thrunner

If they allow the jerks on Wall Street and Chicago to control their market, their economy will trade like the one in the US - jerking around and going nowhere.

#18     Mar 2, 2008
  9. In Shanghai, did "they" finish construction of the building that has the "hole" at the top?

#19     Mar 2, 2008
  10. #20     Mar 2, 2008