SG Securities

Discussion in 'Trading' started by dc122, Aug 5, 2002.

1. either way, trading or learning, you are still gona wear a suit and Tie....shined shoes and get coffey for the boss.

but what the hell, its the economy stupid. But someone said it was a decent bank....so maby the customers will be less brash about investing with the bank.

All i know is, get the experience and get out of retail......it will save you from grey hair and slave labor.

er

#11     Aug 5, 2002
  2. looks like "1" has taken a commanding lead..

#12     Aug 5, 2002
  3. I'm telling you what happened dude. My cousin had ZERO knowledge of freakin options. No, he did not just walk into the role straight out of school, he was with the firm for a few years, (and another one before that). I saw his business card and said," Manager Equity Derivatives, not bad". He smiled and said, "don't read too much into job titles.."

You're are probably a newbie grad that still thinks IBs work the way your professors taught you at Business School. Do not underestimate the human/relationship element in ANY office/job environment - it will get you way further than your cv ever will.

#13     Aug 6, 2002
  4. dc122

dc122

Thanks for your remarks. The poll has no meaning - just mild humour :)

The position is with the London office - it would be foolish for me to apply to the French office since I'm not completely fluent in French.

Will the London office be focussing on my education (I also have a 1st class degree in maths - ie, are they looking to soley train maths, engineering, finance, economics graduates/postgraduates) or are they looking for a strong understanding of current trading simulators (such as Bloomberg). Considering that I have to attend the usual psychometric and group exercises that most IB's seem to enjoy putting their recruits through!

#14     Aug 6, 2002
  5. dc122

dc122

daniel m,

the masters course has focussed a great deal on derivative pricing (following classical text books such as Hull and Wilmott) as well as providing a strong introduction into risk management, macro economics and financial markets technical analysis. Therefore, as with most people from the course, the problem is not really concerned with knowing the theory (infact in my opinion too much time has been spent on pursuing quant knowledge, with a strong emphasis placed on stochastic calculus and simulation) but atually applying the material to practical online trading.

Don't get me wrong, the MSc was not intended to teach FX, option or equity trading but to provide a rigorous academic qualification intended for graduates with a strong degree from a top university.

#15     Aug 14, 2002