Sexy Idea...

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by sunseeker, Sep 26, 2003.

1. page 2.

I think the H/L was about 12 today, so this is 1/2 way to max I go for.

#31     Sep 29, 2003
  2. jvbraun

jvbraun

S3: wash reverse short bar 6 (9:55 bar) 998.25

Examining 1-min charts shows this trade must have occurred
    during the 9:59 minute.

Examining time and sales shows that this trade must have
    occurred between 9:59:38 and 9:59:59.

L4: wash reverse long bar 7 (10:00 bar) 998.25

Examining 1-min charts shows this trade must have occurred
    during the 10:00 minute.

Examining time and sales shows that this trade must have
    occurred as one of only three trades at either 10:00:00
    or 10:00:01.

S5: wash reverse short bar 7 (10:00 bar) 997.25

L5: wash reverse long bar 7 (10:00 bar) 997.25

Examining 1-min charts shows these trades must have occurred
    during the 10:00 minute.

Examining time and sales shows that these trades must have
    occurred between 10:00:09 and 10:00:17. The long must have
    been executed at the bar extreme. There were151 trades
    made during that time.

Conclusion: The four trades must have been executed within
    a 30 second time frame.

#32     Sep 29, 2003
  3. Grob!

Thanks a lot - This looks like great stuff!

I've looked at it already and I'm gonna study it in more depth this arvo, so I can figure out what exactly you did...

Sure some great trades in there! You obviously already have much better measures for staying inside profitable trades longer... Shame you didn't include the volume in the one bar chart!

Did you by any chance make good use of the 5,2 Stochastic on Friday?

I've taken the "Bar ID's sheet" you attached and printed it out - It's up on the wall for reference now (in case of doubt, wall is the only place where it won't disappear in my paper swamp LOL)

Grob, have you also got the SCT flaw cards you used for Friday somewhere or didn't you use them?

Thanks also for the ready-to-print trade-description doc - My trading stats also have execution times, since they're printed from my EP - could you add exact execution time to the trading description as well? I need that to back-check my tape history for the order flow situation at that given bar time. I'm a tape-freak, and with my charting platform (eSignal) I can back-scroll as much tape history as I desire...

Anyway, since you posted your log, here's my log for the Friday trades, being the 21 done in the afternoon after rebooting my execution platform. Not least since the day didn't start off glorious with ~+2pts only by 12:50 given the volatility (plus I traded before the synch and other stupid things), I didn't use more than 2 cars for the rest of the day. No NQ, either. All trades ES. This is printed out from my execution platform, it should be conclusive enough, it's got all the E/X times, prices and P/L in it...

You get the basic idea what I did, though and how I usually trade when I'm in defense mode only (i.e. multi-fractal wasn't used, almost all trades were just scalps, most trades were washes). I hope you can compare that to your logs, figure out what I did there and maybe make some improvement-comments.... :)

And if it turns out we took completely different trades - even the better - it would mean we could both learn a lot from each other and make 9.5+12.5 = 22pts next time a day like this occurs! :cool:

Jee... I've sure still got a lot of stuff to learn... As always...
    Again: Thanks for all the insights and stats, Grob!

Sincerest Regards,
    Scientist.

#33     Sep 29, 2003
  4. jvbraun,

You trade Jack Hershey's Equity Strategy, don't you?

Regards,
    Scientist.

#34     Sep 29, 2003

5. PissPete.. you must be a very successful trader. So far your posts have zero value... not even once you made a constructive commentary... and you put so much energy in just putting critics on others. I know these people.. unsuccessful, unsatisfied, and unwise.

In today's battlefields people with those characteristics have already lost the game before it even started.

Grob and Scientist, your commentaries are valuable and interesting.

#35     Sep 30, 2003
  6. Great words of wisdom here, condensed into a simple sentence...

Moderator, please don't delete this post, since it's a great quote.

No further questions. :)

Scientist

#36     Sep 30, 2003
  7. Jerome,

Thanks so much for the detailing.

My recommendation is that a person do one of two things: One person here has a generator that is like a loop of tape but electronic. what is does is genterate orders all the time. He "gates" through an order when he wants by doing a click. The other way is to "set up" market orders and heve them ready on your machine and manually execute at the time you choose.

Before the electronic era it was easier because of the phone and it's bilateral nature.

When you want to trade at any particular time it is possible. It depends only upon the person opposite you. A way to judge that is looking at the BBid and BAsk for an answer at a givne price. for market trades which is how reversals are done in APA column, you can go to the bid ask lists (moving into the next bid/asks). This is where slippage occurs and it is a problem as you get rolling. Each wash and reverse is really only one trade as you know. You can just put some slippage into the results as I did by offsetting from the BO value. You punch at the BO value and never get it.

As I go along during the day, I draw lines only. As a moment appears to catch up I fill in annotations.

#37     Sep 30, 2003
  8. jvbraun

jvbraun

I thought these were actual trades that you had done
    that you were posting?

#38     Sep 30, 2003
  9. It is difficult to post either graphs or charts that reflect the precision of actual trades. Several factors complicate this.

Market orders is the first.

Partial fills next

Space on graphs, additional columns on charts.

More accurate stuff is things like trading logs, reconciliations, and actual records.

All the APA stuff is done as best as possible. The entry of a trade that turns out to be a wash is easy and normal. You go market and see what the result is ASAP. The reversal half is done in a way that makes the best of things; usually it is not effective. It could for some people be tied to the former entry and you must move from the 5 min to the one min as soon as the flag goes up. Most APA's are not done in trends but are usually done at times when market direction is an issue. You are in the market and the direction is the issue that subsquently arises.

You have a choice of dealing with market condition; you do that promptly and find out what happened. In the mean time, you are proceding along and you are in the best position that is possible at the time.

Some people do the drawdown thing according to certain rules they think up. This is not that way. They watch the market and it goes closer and closer to an arbitrary planned limit. It either hits it or not. If things go well the market comes back to a more favorable place. They are willing at some point to exit at a designated preplanned place and the market continues onward in some manner. This stuff I posted is not like that.

The focus is making money and being on the right side of the market. You find out later what happened with all the trades you take. Instead of being in a drawdown, previously you have adjusted to go "with the market". As it draws down ,you make money. It can go as it chooses and you do have stops in to protect from spikes on unexpected news, etc. when the drawdown ends, you see this and you take an action to follow the market's new course. This locks in profits and you go along witth the market. The post you made focuses on the APA that is available as you continually follow the trend. Additional Protective Action (APA) is the last thing a person usually adds to trading once they are in the groove vis a vis continuous trading.

Without APA, there is a nagging (best term) condition where in lateral trends trading the opposite of being whipsawed comes up. APA is a partial solution and it is mechanical. The complete solution is, of course, judging whether or not a leteral trend can be played effectively. You use APA instead of figuring it out. this flips the nagging condition form a loss circumstance to a profit circumstance. As profits go down (instead of losses continuing at the bar height plus), you sideline until the market centers for bracketing in on a BO of volume, then price. The S17 to S18 period is one of those sidelines.

There are tons of ways to trade. People go through a lot of considerations to get where they want to be. The APA is a good way to "polish" almost any method. when you look at the list of trades you see all that "wasted" time with washes, 1 tick profits and tick losses. they coulf drag on forever. The chart is the worst I have seen and last Friday came close too.

What does all this count for, anyway? You see so many posts here on the fact that all this is bullshit. That is how people sort themselves out.

What all this counts for is one simpe thing. You get to take all the profitable trades the day offers all day long, every day. Simply stated you are in the market on the right side all the time and when each and every profit opportunity comes up you get to take the profits.

On the other side of the situation, where ET operates largely, that is, the world of constant "fear", APA keeps erasing periods of fear over and over. You can mark fear periods on the sheet too. They are the intervals between the larger profit rows.

By using APA on the worst of days, you get to have it both ways: you are there when he profits roll and you are eliminating fear at all other times.

81 bars to sit through. You watch for three feature films. Over 6 hours. 15 wash trades (or near wash). Only 8 trades that knock down a net of many points. And you have to wait to get the exact results after MOC and the delivery of the account stuff.

My posts fit in the category of "claims" and they are rated as "ridiculous". Luckily, now, I am begining a PnL and I narrate the trades in sound and they are archived and there is a written log too. I used to view some of the people here as actual people who say what they say about me based on some basis. When I looked closely at their complete records, I found the basis of the condition they are in. That made it possible for me to zero out any expectations on my part with regard to their stature.

I only respond to people here. That is to say, I do not initiate stuff here. When I do respond, I have an intention. It is singular. Those people are going to change for the better as time passes as a consequence of my input. If and when they do, that is the only test of my worth vis a vis ET.

Trading is not a macho "I'm the big hunter here" thing; It is a feminine thing as in gleaning food from plants as women did for their families. Arrows and spears miss and people go hungry. any geaner can beat a hunter macho type every day of the week. Meat and fur and artisan skills to get and use them are neat. Beginners bag trends. Experts glean continually and seamlessly.

#39     Sep 30, 2003
  10. jvbraun

jvbraun

I can guess till the cows come home what you mean exactly
    by the "APA" and still never guess correctly.

My current guess is that you reverse off of bar ends, then
    reverse again if the price comes back through your entry.
    I guess in theory you do this as many times as necessary
    during the bar to get on the right side of the market.

Four trades in 30 seconds doesn't sound relaxed to me.
    --
    Jerome

#40     Sep 30, 2003