Settling for Par: Pros More Likely to Play It Safe

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by jammy page, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Here's a fascinating article about how golfers demonstrate risk-aversion by showing a preference to avoid a perceived penalty (losing a stroke relative to par) rather than go for a perceived gain (gaining a stroke):

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/sports/golf/16study.html?hp=&pagewanted=print

Quotes:

"But just as quickly as pro golfers admitted to their costly habit, they dismissed the idea of being able to do much about it. Stewart Cink, who showed a 3.3 percent effect, said that try as he might, he would never be able to convince himself that every putt is the same."

“You can’t fool yourself,” Cink said. “But this is one of the reasons why we use sports psychology, and we try to have a preshot routine so we do the same thing, approach every putt the same way. It’s not always glamorous, and it’s not always possible in reality.”

“A 10-footer for par feels more important than one for birdie,” said Goydos, a two-time winner on the tour. “The reality is, that’s ridiculous. I can’t explain it in any way other than that it’s subconscious. And pars are O.K. — bogeys aren’t."

What's interesting to me is that the players are so aware of it and they understand that there is little they can do about it.

It's interesting to see these psychological aspects manifest themselves in areas beyond trading, and it shows why trading can be so tough.

Hmmm...if it happens to Tiger Woods 5% of the time, maybe I'm not as bad as I thought?