Setting Up with Fx-Auto

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by fx-auto, Dec 13, 2006.

1. fx-auto

fx-auto ET Sponsor

hi asap,
    Yes all performance includes the spreads of the broker, they do not include the 1 pip commission applied to the trades.

Delta money management increases or decreases the lot size traded depending on the "delta" factor.
    For eg if you want to increase the lot size by 10k for every 1k increase in your account balance, the delta is 1k and the base lot size 0.1 (10k)

The platform will handle each trade seperately from each signal provider and hedge if required. You could 3 positions long GBP and 2 short for example. The commission is 1pip per trade nonetheless.

To switch from LIVE to DEMO and so vice versa, just keep 2 platforms running on your desktop, one with DEMO login and the other LIVE,

Regards

fx

does the performance figures in your site include the fx spread incurred? this is important because they charge as much as 2 pip in eurusd and on top of it there's one pip uplift. so looking at the signal providers history, the best performers come up with hundreds of trades that are exited at 10-20 pips profit. so, does those numbers include the the bid ask spread offered by the broker and the pip uplift?

also, can you explain how fixed delta money management works?

what happens when theres two or more providers issue a trade that conflict with eachother? please comment how exactly the platform handles this and what does it mean in terms of commissioning.

is there a straight forward way of switching from live to demo and then to live again so one can monitor the performance and decide when to get in and out wo major headaches?

thanks

thanks

#21     Jan 13, 2007
  2. Sarang

Sarang

I just opened a demo account. Under "Available Systems" with Last 12 Months as time frame, Clayburg-Multiphase performance for EURUSD shows 30699.3 of profit for 3191 pips, but under "Portfolio Trade History" the profit is 31910 for the same 3191 pips. Why the discrepancy? Shouldn't it be 31910 profit under "Available Systems" as well? Where does the 30699.3 come from? Thanks

#22     Jan 28, 2007
  3. fx-auto

fx-auto ET Sponsor

Hi,
    In "Available Systems" the swap or rollover values have been factored into the trades.
    In portfolio trade history you need to deduct the swap values column from the total profit column, then your $31,910 is reduced to $30,699.30, swaps accounted for,

Regards
    Fx-Auto

I just opened a demo account. Under "Available Systems" with Last 12 Months as time frame, Clayburg-Multiphase performance for EURUSD shows 30699.3 of profit for 3191 pips, but under "Portfolio Trade History" the profit is 31910 for the same 3191 pips. Why the discrepancy? Shouldn't it be 31910 profit under "Available Systems" as well? Where does the 30699.3 come from? Thanks

#23     Jan 28, 2007
  4. I am trying to figure out the best way to compare between systems listed on fx-performance.com. I'm trying to figure out which one is truly the most profitable and has the righest return.

I can't just look at the Profit column because that depends on how much was invested (which I don't see listed anywhere) and on the start date. One system could show a high profit because its history is longer. Same issue with just looking at pips.

Should I take the total pips and subtract out 1 pip per trade for the autotrading fee (using the #Trds column), then divide it by the total # of months it's been since the start date to get an average # of pips per month and compare based on that?

Also, what does the profit factor mean? How is it calculated?

In an unrelated question, is trading through fx-auto.com and FXDD's auto trading exactly the same?

Thanks,
    Lisa

#24     Jan 30, 2007
  5. fx-auto

fx-auto ET Sponsor

Hi Lisa,
    The Profit column shows the profit based on trading a $100k lot size, it is not deposit dependent as the broker is offering you 200:1 leverage, however with excessive leverage comes higher risk and you may be margin called before making any profitable returns, therefore lower leverage is key.

Profit factor = Sum profit / Sum Losses.
    It is an ratio designed to identify systems that have high return with high risk.
    For e.g System A makes 2000pips gross profit and 500pips loss, nett +1500pip.s
    System B makes 12000 pips profit and loss 10500 pips, NETT 1500pips so are listed beside each other in performance table but A has profit factor 4, and System B only 1.14.
    To untrained eye they have same nett pips result but completely different risk/reward ratio

This is similar to risk adjusted ratio, which calculates the pips profit / Max DD (Max dd is peak to valley DD, i.e the worst losing sequence of trades).
    For eg System A produces 1000pips with only MAx DD of -200pips, that is risk adjusted ratio of 5.
    System B produces 1000pips with MAx DD of -600pips, risk adjusted 1.66.
    In real terms System A has outperformed B because the client could have excerised 3 times greater leverage (and 3 times greater return on equity), with the same downside risk.

There is no single measure in isolation that tells you everything about the system, that is why we have metric measures to aid the client choose what is best suited to their risk tolerance.

I am trying to figure out the best way to compare between systems listed on fx-performance.com. I'm trying to figure out which one is truly the most profitable and has the righest return.

I can't just look at the Profit column because that depends on how much was invested (which I don't see listed anywhere) and on the start date. One system could show a high profit because its history is longer. Same issue with just looking at pips.

Should I take the total pips and subtract out 1 pip per trade for the autotrading fee (using the #Trds column), then divide it by the total # of months it's been since the start date to get an average # of pips per month and compare based on that?

Also, what does the profit factor mean? How is it calculated?

In an unrelated question, is trading through fx-auto.com and FXDD's auto trading exactly the same?

Thanks,
    Lisa

#25     Jan 30, 2007
  6. chandra99

chandra99

When I checked FXDD-Auto website today (04-Feb-07), the minimum deposit seems to be 500 for mini and 5000 for standard. So, I suppose the limit has been changed in the past six weeks. It seems to me that 500+risk dollar is sufficient to start a simplest mini portfolio.
    Myth #1: Low leverage is safe
    (ALL leverages are two-edged sword. Can lead to closeout, wipeout or margin call, if used upto neck. Only safe leverage is less than 1:1 or 0:1. They MUST be used with more than enough room for the StopLoss to be hit at anytime).

I have been checking the demo for nearly a month and I am impressed. The performance of the portfolio depends on what we choose from the jumble of providers. There lies the trick. The information/data given is hardly enough to make a decision. Some simply come to the top by overtrading (I have seen some make two or four identical trades within seconds). I tend to agree with Lisa on the way to select the signal providers (though after selection, I check their past recommendations with a chart and see if they would have been agreeable to me).
    The best thing I like here is the flexibility. The ability to change the Stops or Targets. And trading in mini account to get the confidence is also a plus. The painless commission is great too (and tax-friendly, I suppose). I am seriously considering about joining soon.

Thanks.
    chandra

#26     Feb 4, 2007
  7. Sarang

Sarang

Does FXDD pay interest on the balance? If yes, how is it calculated?
    Thanks
    Sarang

#27     Feb 5, 2007
  8. fx-auto

fx-auto ET Sponsor

Dear Sir,
    Yes, it is denotes as "Swap"

regards
    Fx-Auto

#28     Feb 5, 2007
  9. chandra99

chandra99

As far as I understand, swap is the interest paid (or substracted) on positions, not on balances! :confused:

#29     Feb 5, 2007
  10. Sarang

Sarang

Quote from Chandra99:
    "As far as I understand, swap is the interest paid (or substracted) on positions, not on balances! "

That is also my understanding. I am interested to know if FXDD pays interest on the account balance, what is the present rate and how it is calculated (for instance, on a hourly or daily basis) .

Thank you
    Sarang

#30     Feb 5, 2007