Setting up a home office...desks, lines, etc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John47, Jul 31, 2008.

1. John47

John47

I'm setting up a home office for trading over night, early AM, etc....so after three years I finally won't have to drive to the office at a ridiculous hour.

Anybody have a good site that sells desks that would work well with a lot of monitors (thinking 2-4 plus a laptop)...and I'm thinking of going w/ verizon fios....does anybody that trades from home fulltime have a regular line that immediately switches to another back up in the event it goes down? i'd rather do that than go through a broker.

Thanks.

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Don't forget the obligatory Hooters calendar.

3. John47

John47

I know, they're easy to find though.

4. Bob111

Bob111

5. wave

wave

6. I'm also looking to set up at home for the same reason.

John, did you get set up yet? What kind of line are you using? Does anyone else have any input?

I'm mainly curious about internet connection, backup, etc. I use TT and I'm pretty sure I can install in more than one location (providing I'm logging in with the same account) without having to pay for an extra license. Correct me if I'm wrong?

I feel the only other major expense other than hardware is the internet connection. Am I missing anything?

Can anyone share their experience setting up a home office?

Note- I require an extrememly stable and fast internet connection.

7. wave

wave

8. I just moved to a new house and redid my office setup from scratch. A friend turned me on to this and I am happy with it. A bit on the spendy side but might be worth it since it is a home office (my wife appreciates that it looks nice).

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/pro...gory=rm_workspaces&subcategory=desk_worktable

It's really an L shaped table rather than a desk. I prefer "simple" since almost all of my "work" is screen based. I have 2 machines running 6 19" monitors. 2X1 and 2X2. And I also have a laptop.

At my old house I had an OfficeMax desk and I hated it. I could never get my monitors close enough and so I always seemed to leaning forward, which made my back sore. Be careful of desks with monitor pedastals as they seem to be set too far back. Also, my monitor stand clamps to the desk so it was important that the back of the desk have a spot for the clamp.