Setting "Proper" stops in trend strategy?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Carneros8, Feb 4, 2019.

1. tomorton

tomorton

I know that Vis, but the stupid losing traders who complain about their stops getting hit don't know this.

I was trying to convince them how stupid they are, not that I am as stupid as they are. You do realise I recommend always using stop-losses don't you?

#41     Feb 6, 2019
  2. tomorton

tomorton

I agree, its meaningless. Maybe its a computer translation.

#42     Feb 6, 2019
  3. Visaria

Visaria

Yes, of course. Totally agree with you.

#43     Feb 6, 2019
  4. qlai

qlai

Everything I post, I do in a form of a question, even if I don't use a question mark. I always assume I am the dumbest guy in the room and I often am.

#44     Feb 6, 2019
  5. %% I seldom do fixed tight stops unless its SDOW+ profits are threatened; not very often.
    Fixed stops on 50 day moving average can be useful; but good thing about those, not many re-entries, or tight sops.
    You plan sounds good if you dont pay to much for comissions , or you like intraday trading:cool::cool:

#45     Feb 6, 2019
  6. You once said you use wide stop losses but this seems narrow. Have you narrowed them up?

#46     Feb 9, 2019
  7. tomorton

tomorton

Yes. You think 2ATR20 is narrow?

I have used 5ATR20 and may soon go back to it. Tired of getting shaken out of good trends by silly volatility.

#47     Feb 9, 2019
  8. Mnewton

Mnewton

Never set stops. Mm's bounce stock prices to flush out stops

#48     Feb 9, 2019
  9. tomorton, I'm getting to understand the ATR stop, but please help me so I can understand it in completion especially the trailing ATRs.

My understanding is that upon opening a trade, you look at the ATR value and you set your stop to 2x that value. That is understood and clear. However, when the market goes in your favor and ATR increases, the trailing ATR value is the current (higher) ATR value -2x that value or current (higher) ATR value - 2x the original value upon opening the trade?

#49     Feb 11, 2019
  10. I use trailing stops with ATR. Rarely hits depending on period you use

#50     Feb 11, 2019